Author: robert237

Ancient US constitution   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-1-17 18:22:36 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2018-1-17 02:14
You are doing a good job here.

Thank you.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-1-18 14:16:08 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-1-16 13:59
There are more than enough people in this forum who do nothing but bad mouth China.
So I am adding ...

Go to Taobao and enter 滚动面条机 in the search box.  It will show you a list of pasta rolling machines for flat spaghetti and sheets etc.  Cost is 70-300 Rmb or so for manual rollers and more for electric machines.

Noodle flour will do okay for most forms of pasta as it looks pretty much like pasta originated in China and was taken to the west (Italy) via the Silk Road.

You'll probably find Mexican ingredients available online in Shanghai, Beijing or Guangzhou. It would be worth posting in the expat forums for those cities. It probably won't be cheap.  Corn flour is available in cities like Luoyang and the north of China (according to my wife and friends from the North and North east). Tortillas are easy to make from scratch.

Basil - 罗勒
Tortila - 玉米饼

Cheeses are banned imports at the moment I think, however mozzarella and ricotta are so easy to make at home if you have some cheese cloth and full fat milk.

Hope that helps.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-18 23:06:50 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2018-1-17 22:16
Go to Taobao and enter 滚动面条机 in the search box.  It will show you a list of pasta rolling mac ...

Thanks for the help.
I did find mozzarella cheese in the grocery store downtown today.
Also several types of marinara sauce.
My brother in law and his son usually find things online and they are currently searching
for lasagna noodles and basil. By online I mean the cell phone.
It seems everything is done with cell phones here in China.
I can do without the Ricotta cheese for now.
I'm not so ambitious for cheeses that I would try to make them myself.
If I can get the lasagna noodles and basil then I can make a very basic lasagna.
If they can't find the noodles then I might consider trying to make my own pasta
with a contraption you mentioned. I think it's just flour and eggs and not much else.
In the mean time ham and beans has become my staple although I do get tired of that.
We bought an electric oven today. The apartment only has a two burner stove with no
oven underneath. We're slowly making this a home.
The three cities you mentioned probably have much more than the relatively small city
we live in. But you have to make do.
If I surmount the lasagna challenge then I'm ready to try for some basic Mexican foods
such as tacos and burritos. But that's for later.
There are other things I could complain about in China. Like trying to transfer money
into my sister's account. My bank wants to send me a secret code only available on cell
phone as a final step but the catch is, they don't send the secret code to phone numbers
outside of the US. It's one thing after another. But, hey, I'm a guest here.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-1-19 11:57:03 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-1-18 23:06
Thanks for the help.
I did find mozzarella cheese in the grocery store downtown today.
Also severa ...

Most of the larger supermarket chains carry pasta and basil but that's in the larger cities.  You can get Durum Wheat (for making authentic pasta, just look for 硬质小麦  but the words are often used to describe many wheat products such as some biscuits etc.

With the banking issues (we have similar problems) my wife and I got creative and used a local branch of a Chinese bank as they can facilitate transfers home to China.  The account is only used for transfers so money goes in to it from our investment accounts as is required.  Mostly it's for clothes shopping for the wife or hong bao for our nephew and niece etc. I'm pretty sure you can come up with a similar system.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-19 14:52:55 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2018-1-18 19:57
Most of the larger supermarket chains carry pasta and basil but that's in the larger cities.  You  ...

My sister told me I can make a good substitute for Ricotta cheese by mashing up cottage cheese.
I remember a long time ago in the US you could buy dry cottage cheese and use it in lasagna.
It's been a while since I've seen dry cottage cheese even in the US.
So I'm all set except for the noodles.
I finally was able to transfer money into my sister's account by giving her my login info so she
could do it herself in the US. I trust her a LOT so I'm not worried about that. It worked.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-19 22:30:05 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-21 14:28:00 |Display all floors
coralbay Post time: 2018-1-19 06:30
Noodles for lasagne?

Even in 2nd tier cities, 15 years ago, you could pick up the bare essentials ...

Thanks for the advice.
I think I'm almost ready to make lasagna since I can find pasta, just not lasagna noodles, at the grocery
store downtown. My sister tells me pasta is pasta so I can use linguini for the pasta.
Also, I can make my own Ricotta cheese with a very simple recipe using milk, lemon juice, and salt.
I already have mozzarella cheese from the downtown grocery store along with marinara sauce.
So it's all coming together. I just need to buy cottage cheese or make my own ricotta and buy
a casserole dish. Some extra basil would be nice but the marinara sauce I bought has basil in it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.