Views: 9619|Replies: 6

Should shared electric bikes be banned? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-12-27 09:16:38 |Display all floors
(Xinhua) South China's Nanning has joined a growing number of other cities to ban the use of shared electric bikes.

Authorities in Nanning, capital of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, banned fledging electric bike sharing businesses in a statement issued last week, citing safety and regulatory concerns.

"Electric bikes, which are heavy and fast, will cause great damage and economic loss when accidents happen," said an official with the city's transport department.

Officials with the department added that many of the city's electric bikes were unlicensed, and their users often violated traffic rules.

Nanning, a city of about 7 million residents, has more than 2 million registered electric bikes. Local regulations have banned electric bikes, motorcycles, and tricycles from being used to transport passengers for a fare.

I support the ban on the shared electric bikes. Despite its convenience and environmental friendliness, a electric bikes pose a genuine public safety hazard. A walk through any streets can witness electric bicycles zipping around in every direction, dominating the bike lanes, driving on the sidewalks, virtually running down pedestrians, and weaving in and out of traffic often with little heed to road rules or personal safety. The riders don’t need a license, any training, insurance, or even a helmet to operate one — all you have to do is buy one from the shop, hop on, and go.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-28 08:40:47 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2017-12-28 10:14
I support the ban on the shared electric bikes. Despite its convenience and environmental friendliness, a electric bikes pose a genuine public safety hazard. A walk through any streets can witness electric bicycles zipping around in every direction, dominating the bike lanes, driving on the sidewalks, virtually running down pedestrians, and weaving in and out of traffic often with little heed to road rules or personal safety. The riders don’t need a license, any training, insurance, or even a helmet to operate one — all you have to do is buy one from the shop, hop on, and go.

NO! They should be regulated just like cars: licensing, registration, training, insurance, safety features such as helmets, etc.

China has 90% of the world's market for e-bikes, an industry where Chinese companies dominate. Why ban something that the public wants? Convenient, cheap and environmentally friendly. The problem is not with e-bikes but with the people riding those e-bikes and with the cities which were designed  for cars not e-bikes.

Chinese cities should be redesigned with dedicated bike lanes, parking spaces, charging stations, etc. for e-bikes. Otherwise, the only means of urban transport available will be autos which would mean more congestion and traffic for Chinese cities.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-28 09:29:03 |Display all floors
There are shared bikes and shared cars, why not shared e-bikes? The problem is not about sharing economy, but implementing regulations - in this case, specifically enforcing traffic rules for e-bikes.

In cities where they aren't completely banned already, many drivers think that they can follow (or ignore) both pedestrian and car rules which ever happens to suit them at any given time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-28 10:15:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2017-12-28 10:17
Jaaja Post time: 2017-12-28 09:29
There are shared bikes and shared cars, why not shared e-bikes? The problem is not about sharing eco ...

Please read the title of this thread again:
Should shared electric bikes be banned?

No! Ban CARS not e-bikes!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-28 12:16:39 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-12-28 10:15
Please read the title of this thread again:
Should shared electric bikes be banned?

It looks like you did not understand my comment the way I meant it to be understood.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-28 12:56:38 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-12-28 12:16
It looks like you did not understand my comment the way I meant it to be understood.

The OP was arguing for the banning of shared electric bikes not because they’re shared but because they’re electric bikes.

My position is the exact opposite: cars not ebikes should be banned in downtown districts of urban centers while only shared e-cars should be allowed in the whole city.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-28 16:03:02 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-12-28 12:56
The OP was arguing for the banning of shared electric bikes not because they’re shared but becaus ...

To my understanding, OP ("I support the ban on the shared electric bikes.") specifically supported banning of shared electric bikes - not electric bikes as whole, only shared ebikes, and that makes  the shared property the reason for their banning.

Her reasoning included "Nanning, a city of about 7 million residents, has more than 2 million registered electric bikes", and I understood this to mean that those registered bikes are registered to real persons, and as such non-shared driving (in Nanning anyway) generally already includes the licensing and registration of the vehicles, which is something you called for.

My point was (and still is), that if shared bikes are not banned, and shared cars are not banned, then shared ebikes shouldn't be banned either.

What, in my opinion, needs to be done is to enforce regulation of ebikes (not just shared but all of them), and I would focus on enforcing (existing or creating new) traffic regulations more than the registration and licensing scheme - though obviously that needs to be improved too in many cities.

Ebikes, and traffic in China in general, is not dangerous because vehicles are not registered and licensed properly, but because traffic rules are often ignored. In my opinion, ebike drivers in particular have some sort of identity crisis between car drivers, bicycle drivers and pedestrians.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.