Author: ceciliazhang

school teacher taking 'gratitude fee' sparks backlash among netizens [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-20 16:15:38 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-20 21:14:14 |Display all floors
They join, but sometimes it goes awry. Isolated incident.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-21 00:05:05 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Jaaja at 2017-11-21 09:13

I don't work in education, but what I hear from the field is that this is all too common in China, What may make this an isolated incident, is that there was a machine to count the money. Without that, it would be a school like many others.

Corruption was way of the country in past decades, and there is no rational reason to think that it would not have extended to schools. The campaign of current leadership, to my knowledge, has not yet extended there, and that's why news like this are needed.

Anti-corruption efforts need to go to education system too. Not only as excuse to get rid of teachers with different political or ideological views, but to get rid of the corruption there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-21 11:50:01 |Display all floors
Both the teachers and the parents in China are guilty of corruption; parents often offer bribes to teachers to make sure the teachers give their kids special attention, better seats in class etc. they want an unfair advantage over other students.  Teachers of course take the bribes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-21 14:08:02 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2017-11-21 11:50
Both the teachers and the parents in China are guilty of corruption; parents often offer bribes to t ...

re:   Teachers of course take the bribes.

What you just stated here is fundamentally wrong.

Anyone in China found out taking bribes will be dealt with...
In my opinion, the donator of the bribe should be in the same cell to discuss this matter.

I just give an example from my EU experience regarding bribes...
Seeing a Dr. for ills will require to bring along some sort of appreciation. May it be a glass of home made marmalade etc...
Otherwise; being there at 10 AM will see you waiting till 4 PM and your mothers health card will not be used to get free consultation and medication...
I hope this helps   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-21 20:54:58 |Display all floors
if a school organizes this initiative whose parents will not donate? in china's culture environment, every parents will be forced to donate money or their child will specially be treated. I personally suggest this school should call for society to achieve its donation initiative.
life is colorful with you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-22 13:26:15 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2017-11-22 13:29
emanreus Post time: 2017-11-21 14:08
re:   Teachers of course take the bribes.

What you just stated here is fundamentally wrong.

Allow me to clarify.  It is common practice for parennts to offer gifts(read bribes) to teachers to secure better attention from teachers or other advantages over those who dont offer.  That puts the teachers in an awkward position, if they dont accept, they offend parents by not giving them face, if they accept, they are seen as corrupt!  Damned if they do, damned if they  dont!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.