Views: 12016|Replies: 52

China's Brain Drain to the United States [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-6-28 11:09:53 |Display all floors
Zeng Jiani graduated from the University of Nottingham Ningbo last year with a degree in industrial design, Qianjiang Evening News reported.

An award-winning graduate from eastern China is soon to begin her postgraduate studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the US after receiving offers from no fewer than seven prestigious colleges.

Within a matter of months she had secured offers not only from MIT, but also from Harvard University, the School of Art Institute of Chicago, Rhode Island School of Design, Pratt Institute and two more besides.
To me, it shows America desperately need Chinese brains...
  A Weibo user summed the matter up well, saying there are “all kinds of education styles in China today – tiger dads, happy education, encouraging education”...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 12:00:48 |Display all floors
MIT, but also from Harvard University, the School of Art Institute of Chicago, Rhode Island School of Design, Pratt Institute and two more besides.

And from how many Chinese universities did she receive offers from? Any? Why are those not mentioned?

To me OP only demonstrates that the foreign universities are more notable and prestigious than Chinese universities, so of course she went there when she had the choice.

I fail to see how this shows anything toward US needing Chinese brains - rather the Chinese braiins wanting to go there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 12:30:19 |Display all floors
They are  too rich to do study and travel at the same time. Its not surprising people like to get some foreign experience in their lifetime, and why not if they can afford it. Dont always think any foreign universities are of superiority, they are just places for travelling.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 12:40:13 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-6-28 12:00
And from how many Chinese universities did she receive offers from? Any? Why are those not mention ...

re: I fail to see how this shows anything toward US needing Chinese brains - rather the Chinese braiins wanting to go there.

Again:  An award-winning graduate from eastern China is soon to begin her postgraduate studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the US after receiving offers from no fewer than seven prestigious colleges.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 12:45:34 |Display all floors
Chinaman2017 Post time: 2017-6-28 12:30
They are  too rich to do study and travel at the same time. Its not surprising people like to get so ...

I'd have made the same decision, pleasure of traveling combined with foreign teaching skills.

In my opinion, this young lady is very smart...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 13:59:50 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2017-6-28 12:40
re: I fail to see how this shows anything toward US needing Chinese brains - rather the Chinese br ...
after receiving offers from no fewer than seven prestigious colleges.

US universities would give the same treatment to most nationals, especially ones who graduate from foreign attached schools in their home countries (and are therefore better connected) to begin with.

We still don't know how many Chinese universities offered her anything. Probably some did, but obviously they were not worth mentioning in OP. So why would she not pursue further education in USA...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 14:04:11 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-6-28 13:59
US universities would give the same treatment to most nationals, especially ones who graduate fr ...

re:  same treatment to most nationals

please elaborate

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.