Views: 5926|Replies: 15

How do you celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-5-26 11:09:22 |Display all floors
The Dragon Boat Festival, also called the Duanwu Festival, is celebrated on May 30 this year. The holiday commemorates the patriot poet Qu Yuan, who drowned in the Miluo River during the Warring States period more than 2,000 years ago. People celebrate the holiday by eating zongzi, drinking realgar wine, and racing dragon boats. How do you plan on celebrating it? What do you think the most interesting aspect of the festival? Feel free to share your story or photos.  I hope you have a great time enjoying the Dragon Boat Festival this year.
2.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-26 11:17:28 |Display all floors
For me the most interesting aspect of the Festival is the physical component -- the fact that people train and work so hard to perform well in the boats. This component takes us back I think to our early days (in any culture, I think) where we had to face nature to survive. I also like the competitive spirit shown by the racers. I enjoy the costumes and appearance generally of the racers and boats. Zongzi I think are delicious and there is something very natural about their being wrapped in leaves. Finally, I get the sense that this festival is the most fun for Chinese people, the best chance to go back culturally and in nature and time. This festival should spread globally to whereever there is a body of water.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2017-5-26 11:37:24 |Display all floors
i'll be grafting my little plums off
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-26 12:38:22 |Display all floors
I just love the atmosphere at the Duanwu Jie Festival.
The wooden boats are shaped and decorated in the form of a Chinese dragon. Generally it is about 20–35 meters in length and needs 30–60 people to paddle it.
Them colorfully-painted dragon boats and the public's enthusiasm and eagerness to keep the traditional customs and culture intact is good to watch during the 3-day holiday.
On October 30th 2009 the traditional festival was added to the UNESCO World Intangible Cultural Heritage List.
An old saying goes "drinking realgar wine (or xionghuang wine) drives diseases and evils away"!  The wine is a Chinese alcoholic drink consisting of fermented cereals and powdered realgar.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-26 13:27:12 |Display all floors
Eat tons of rice dumplings and figure out a method to digest them quickly.
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2017-5-26 13:33:57 |Display all floors
I don't

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-26 14:36:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by senoritazhao at 2017-5-26 14:39

People also beat drums, splash water and throw dumplings with rice (zongzi) into the river to get the fish away so that they won't eat Qu Yuan's body. That's why we have dragon boating and the tradition of eating zongzi during the dragon boat festival. :)

Dragon Boat Festival in Chinese is 端午节(Duānwǔ jié). It is on the fifth of May of lunar calendar. There are many legends about this traditional festival and the most popular one is “屈原 (Qū Yuán)QuYuan,” who was a Chinese scholar and minister to the King of State of Chu during the Warring States period. He was famous for his loyalty to the state.

It was said that on the fifth of May of lunar calendar, “屈原 (Qū Yuán) QuYuan,” who was banished by the king, killed himself by jumping into the MiLuo River. After his death, one of his townsmen had a dream. He dreamed that “屈原 (Qū Yuán) QuYuan” was thinner than before. So he and his villagers made “粽子 (zòngzi)” by wrapping glutinous rice with reed or bamboo leaves. Then they loaded the “粽子 (zòngzi)” on dragon boat and dropped them into the river. Because dragon was in charge of all the animals in the sea, so they didn’t dare to eat “粽子 (zòngzi).” So they figured that “屈原 (Qū Yuán) QuYuan” could eat “粽子 (zòngzi)” and get healthier.

Later on, people also say “dress like a ‘粽子 (zòngzi),’ ” which refers to people who wrap themselves from head to foot, just like “粽子 (zòngzi) !”

Wearing a Sachet on Dragon Boat Festival

It’s widely known that people enjoy “粽子 (zòngzi) rice dumplings” and “赛龙舟 (sài lóngzhōu) dragon-boat races” during the annual Chinese Dragon Boat Festival, but amongst all the customs, the most elegant one is surely the making and adorning of a sachet.

According to the Chinese Zodiac, the fifth month (aka month of Poison) and fifth day on the lunar calendar marks the emergence of many poisonous insects. To ward them off, people hang wormwood, drink realgar wine, and “戴香包 (dài xiāngbāo) wear a sachet.”

The sachet, a small bag full of various spices, came about in ancient times when people used realgar and wormwood to repel insects. It grew in popularity when it became symbolic of a woman’s great skill in selecting a variety of cloths and designs for making the sachets that were expected to protect and keep their children safe. Nowadays, venders during the Chinese dragon boat festival sell sachets just about everywhere. Likewise, customers buy them for the same reasons as they were originally used for long ago: in hopes for peace and happiness…and less bites from hungry pests.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.