Views: 1976|Replies: 0

Artificial heart kept girl alive after transplant failed [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-5-7 17:57:39 |Display all floors
(iolnews)--

1.jpg

artificial heart

Chloe Narbonne, 12, had the device installed during a nine-hour operation at the Royal Brompton Hospital in London after a heart transplant failed. Her medical team had the choice of keeping her on life-support while waiting for a second transplant, or performing the ‘extremely risky’ surgery. The artificial heart kept her alive until another human heart became available a few weeks later. While others have been linked up to a device known as a Berlin heart, which replicates the heart’s functions outside the body, Chloe is the youngest person in Europe to have had an artificial heart implanted. The teenager from Worcester, who is now 13, told the Guardian: "I feel well, like my normal self, but not quite my normal self, not after what I’ve been through." At the age of 11 she had a stroke while waiting for a new heart, and was left close to death when her eventual transplant failed to work. Heart surgeon Andre Simon was forced to rebuild parts of her atrium, or upper chamber, which had been removed during the failed transplant.
Only 1 690 people in the world have received an artificial heart. Of those, 34 were under 18. The oldest person in the UK to receive one was 62. Chloe is the third youngest in the world, after a nine-year-old and an 11-year-old in the US.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.