Author: admin

What is going wrong with Chinese higher education?[2]- Chinadaily.com.cn [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-5-4 10:17:47 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-4 11:39:46 |Display all floors
Who cares. Like it's going to change? What's the point of talking about all these problems, it's not like anyone here can do anything about it. Blah blah blah. Just be selfish and live your own life, and care about yourself alone. Who cares about others. Who cares about creating a happy country. This is how the Chinese society is, right? Can't beat them, join them! lol Unbelievable how you claim the Americans are more selfish than you.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2017-5-26 05:35:14 |Display all floors
The system can't be trusted because of corruption

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-2 22:14:52 |Display all floors
seneca is talking rocks!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-9 12:57:14 |Display all floors
College in the top schools in China is working well.The problem is in the colleges that reguire 200 to 350 points on the college entrance exam.These students are just excited they got into college.They usually do not get to pick their major. So they just want to have fun and put no effort into learning.I teach at a university that has some very bright students and scored well enough to get into a 4 year degree program. Problem is that I have observed many classes being taught by other professors and they just lecture and let the students sleep,play on their I-phone or just chat with their classmates.Then give an easy exam and do not care if the students share answers. Most I have talked to and they  say if we fail any student we may be put on probation. I actually insist students not play, pay attention, walk around the room while I lecture and give zero's for the day to students not on task.I found once they find out they can fail my class and some do every semester.Most abide by my rules and put in enough work to get a 80% or better. I make exams that test for what I covered in class and my exams are not easy. If I catch a student,talking during an exam using notes,I-phones etc. I collect their exam and they get a zero.Now that I have been here 4 years all my students have heard about me before they show up for the first class.Guess what? They want to learn,want to be in the top of the class.I make the students feel welcome,chat with them before class,during breaks and offer help to any on weekends. My first year I had a total of 400 students during the week and 78 failed. Each year the total failures have decreased down to only 7 who failed my class last semester. The point I am trying to make is that they are still kids and need rules and the teacher needs to enforce the rules.They will do as instructed if you show you actually care.Not just pass them  with a 60% for no work done.Their parents deserve better from professors for the money they pay.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-9 13:31:08 |Display all floors
I also wanted to share that I make up problems studenst may occur in their future chosen profession and they most come up with a solution.This requires crtical thinking.Which I must explain to them in detail.This way their education is well rounded for the future.They get one of these assignments every week in my class.Plus Half of my finals are critical thinking questions they must anser in order to pass.Depend on professors willingness to work harder.Not just lecture. We also have debates in class and I insist everyone participates.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-24 20:57:35 |Display all floors
A serious problem that has no easy answer, but the 'baby with the bath water' approach never works. It is important to build a base of academic tools with which one can begin to learn how to think in a reasonable fashion. Without the base you have nothing at all, and testing is a necessary means to know if the message is getting through. If it has, the teacher has done his job well, and whatever happens after that is the responsibility of the student and family.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.