Views: 2426|Replies: 16

Why is the donation rate so low? [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2016-8-16 10:07:44 |Display all floors

Surgeons remove the heart from a donor during a 30-minute operation in Hangzhou, capital of east China's Zhejiang Province on May 8, 2016. [Photo: CCTV]

(ORIEnglish) China already ranks second in the world in terms of the overall number of organ transplant operations. But one obstacle remains: a shortage of supply.

According to Thepaper.cn, demand still outstrips supply, as the ratio between donation rates and demand currently stands at 1:30. Only 3 in every 100 million people voluntarily contribute their organs for transplant.

Each year, more than 1,500,000 patients need transplants, but last year only 2,766 people donated major organs to be used after their death. Nevertheless, that was almost double of the number seen in 2014.

China now has the most registered organ donors in Asia and the second highest number globally - more than 65,000. But only 7,400 of those have resulted in a transplant.

Many people still hold to older cultural traditions, which in many cases call for bodies to be buried or cremated intact.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-8-16 13:00:23 |Display all floors
Chinese people should be more realistic and solidary with others who are in need and leave behind little by little some traditions that it doesn't help anything to save human lives.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-8-16 16:14:44 |Display all floors
Could it be anything to do with the trade in organs, where it is not the most needy, but the wealthiest that benefit.

When I die, I know my donated organs will go to the those who need them the most, regardless of ability to 'pay'.

It is not unknown for middle men to profit from the 'sale' or organs in China and it is the lack of altruism that would discourage me to donate in China.

China may rank in the second highest for the number of donations, but that is by sheer volume of numbers, not per capita.

While I can not find any up to date stats. on donation rates, in 2014 Spain had the highest organ donation rate per million of population worldwide followed by US and Portugal.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-8-16 17:01:38 |Display all floors
This post was edited by jacksun008 at 2016-8-16 17:02

If i dead, i will to donate my organ which could work in other people. It menas some part of me still in the word. Maybe it can be feel by my childrens.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-8-16 17:15:41 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-8-17 05:25:41 |Display all floors
As always, and in China, much of this lack of organ donation goes back to the Chinese belief system and culture. Also, most likely,only affluent patients would benefit from transplants, because the majority of people could not afford it. Furthermore, the system would be 'rigged' because of all the bribery going on in that country.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-8-17 08:56:41 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.