Views: 11941|Replies: 22

How to earn foreigners' money but still leave an good impression on their minds? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-11-10 11:44:03 |Display all floors
Golden time for Chinese people to impress the world that we are their friends and Chinese goods and services are value for money.
It's funny that some of the foreign clients I deal with told me that they were told before they come to China that Chinese people are all in blue uniforms, riding bicycles and hostile to foreigners. There's too much prejudice and misunderstanding in their hearts that we should try to convert and there are a lot of things we can do to pave a smooth road for our country's further development.
I am concerned that those who have disgraceful words and bad manners will spoil everything and be so stupid that they cause the loss which outweighs the gain.
Since I come abroad, I've been sparing no efforts in improving the understanding and relationship with foreigners and please support my proposal in building up our country's nice image and good reputation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-10 21:22:25 |Display all floors

good suggestion

as for our gov,it should make efforts to achieve great economy growth.while our people shoule do our best for the job we are doing!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-20 07:49:59 |Display all floors

I've thought a lot about this....

...and wondered how foreigners will view China when they come in such large numbers in a few years.  

I don't think any foreigner would doubt the warmth and friendliness of the Chinese people.  Even when they disagree with you on an issue, they will do it politely and diplomatically.

But how to leave a good impression on their minds? Just a couple thoughts.

1)  Do something about the air pollution!!!  

There are 3 major causes of air pollution in Beijing: car & truck emissions, factories, and dust floating over from the ever enlarging desert in  Inner Mongolia.
Suggestion:
1) Ban the sheep grazing in Inner Mongolia right NOW!  Invest in a MAJOR reforestation project.  It needs to be done NOW.
2) Close down the factories or require them to have filters on their smokestacks that are belching out poisonous smoke.
3) Require emissions control on every car and truck entering the city.

2) Have a major push NOW to rid Beijing (and the rest of China) of habits that every other country of the world finds terribly offensive.  Ban spitting and littering on the streets and ENFORCE it!  Ban smoking on the public busses and in other public inside places and ENFORCE it.

3) ENGLISH!  Beijing has already begun a major initiative to educate taxi drivers, policemen, etc. in English, and this is a step in the right direction.  However, we must remember that folks traveling all the way to China are not going to just stay in Beijing.  Since they flew so far, they're going to take the opportunity to travel around the country.  So China needs to have smiling, friendly, English speaking personnel in every airport, train station, and bus station in the country.  There needs to be English-speaking policemen and English-speaking doctors and nurses in every major city, and there needs to be signs clearly indicating to foreigners how to get help if they need it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-21 14:13:49 |Display all floors

Olympics -- pot of gold for Beijing but not for the rest of China.

Karenb suggests a few ways to enhance the image of China.
They are good suggestions but for the most part are hugely expensive to implement.
China is making huge efforts to roll back the desert by planting billions of trees. I have traveled to beyond Urumqi, up to Manzhouli, and right down south -- and no matter where one looks, there are trees being planted. The problem is so huge that it may not be possible, even with the best will in the world, to reverse the damage caused over the past hundreds of years.
Dirty factories -- yes, China is tackling that as well. It has closed thousands of factories and put several million workers out into the streets. There are plans to close another 3000 and put another 5 million out of work. The problems are potentially catastrophic, but in some cases the solutions are even worse, not only in the short term, but, in terms of social, economic and political instability, possibly worse than the problem in the long term as well.

Unless China fares much better than Sydney, the Olympics will largely be a non-even for the rest of the country as far as tourism.
Yes, people will come to the Olympics, stay for a week or two being fleeced by overpriced accommodation, food and services (as happens at every Olympics) and then they will go home flat broke. Very few will travel past Beijing.

Even those with the will  and money to travel further will come up against archaic practices designed to make the worst of their experience.

Train tickets that can only be one way and only purchased a few days before travel.
Lack of facilities for using credit cards.
The infuriating situation at many tourist sites where the entrance is clearly marked with big banners and signs to attract customers who then find that the ticket office is 200 metres away and has no English explanation of what the fees are for.
Disgusting public toilets.
Rip-off tactics -- pay to enter a park and then find other tickets are required to access certain parts.
Charges to enter many public parks.
Extortionate charges to many attractions -- especially for Chinese salary earners.
Non-uniform application of laws and regulations across China.
Lack of segregation of pedestrians and vehicles.
Disorderly behaviour in scrambling for public transport.

2008 is not too far away and I know many of these problems are being addressed but perhaps now is a good time to get a move on.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-22 08:58:38 |Display all floors

Yes, Tony, I agree

I don't want to see people put out of work, but wouldn't it be possible to implement some sort of emissions control on the factories?  I'm not an engineer, and I don't know that much about that sort of thing, but isn't that what's done in most developed countries?

I've been out of the mainland for a couple years (living in idyllic Hainan where we don't have trains) so I'd forgotten about the train ticket thing.  But that is a huge inconvenience for travelers!  I remember taking the train to Xi'an four years ago, and immediately, when we arrived, we had to go stand in line for two hours to purchase our return tickets. After arriving at the front of the line, we were then told that we could only buy the tickets two days before traveling (and this was the third day before we left).  We were instructed to come back the following morning.  So after wasting another two hours the following morning standing in line AGAIN, we were then told that all the hard-sleeper tickets were sold out!!!  So we had to endure a 24 hour train ride back on hard seat.  And even though we had tickets with seat numbers clearly marked, other people pushed on the train ahead of us (in the afore-mentioned disorderly behavior) and took our seats!  So we had to stand or squat most of the way.

At that point in time, I had only been in China for 1 month, and this left a distinctly bad flavor in my mouth.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-22 21:13:49 |Display all floors

There is a long hard road still to travel.

KarenB said
"I don't want to see people put out of work, but wouldn't it be possible to implement some sort of emissions control on the factories? I'm not an engineer, and I don't know that much about that sort of thing, but isn't that what's done in most developed countries?"

As an Engineer -- well, an ex-engineer -- I have been part of the process in Australia. Thirty years ago Australia faced the problems of increasing pollution -- especially in Sydney. The goverment formed an environmental protection agency and equipped it with real teeth. However it was many years before it used its full powers. It took the approach of gradually tightening the allowable emmissions and each time it gave industry several years to comply. Those who did not or could not were forced to pay a heavier and heavier price for their non-compliance. Over a twenty year period, most industries were able to adapt and plan their moves well in advance so they could finance the enhancements. Combatting pollution can be a hugely expensive operation and spare cash is hard to find. Some factories found it impossible to ever comply and in many cases the companies had to build new factories.
Many new factories in China were originally fitted with antipollution equipment but this is expensive to maintain and often takes a level of technical expertise not available in China at that time -- so the easy way out was to disable it.

We must remember that many of the worst polluting factories were built many years ago as part of the iron rice bowl and they have not been upgraded since the day they were built. They are dangerous, polluting and inefficient and the only thing that has kept them running over the years has been the yearly "loan" from the Bank of China to pay for the next years losses. Now that the Iron-rice-bowl has cracked and rusted and China must honour its WTO commitments, these factories are a huge liability -- to the workers and to the environment, and an impediment to the deregulation of the banking sector because of the huge amount of bad debts the banks carry.

Unfortunately the problem cannot be solved by tacking on some fancy antipollution equipment -- mainly because it would cost more than the factory is worth. AND there is still the huge social problem of what to do with a few million more unemployed workers. A hundred million displaced rural workers is one thing, but 20 million angry city workers is entirely another. Those fortunate enough to have good jobs in the city are revelling in their new found prosperity but they do not realise that it is built on the peasants backs and the peasants are getting rather tired of doing more than their fair share with little reward.

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-23 02:07:26 |Display all floors

If you have a desire and a lust to insult and injure or harm China...there is no

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.