Author: sunnylin01

Who is to blame for the pollution scandal?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-4-19 13:09:57 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2016-4-18 21:10
Last week I put a comment like this to the residents committee of our apartment, I was told that t ...

I am inclined to share the views of your resident's committee. There are so many grey areas as to what is recyclable and what is not and an absence of instruction or motivation on the subject. For example, while I can understand that a newspaper is recyclable I am not convinced about cartons that are coated either internally or externally to make them waterproof. I have no objection to recycling but I would hate to be penalised for getting it wrong.

In the USA, rather than rag pickers, they appear to utilise sophisticated recycling sorters with a minimum of human intervention but I don't know if this is widespread. Conversely in the UK much of the material that has been sorted at a domestic level is simply stored in vacant lots because it is uneconomic to process.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-19 15:43:01 |Display all floors
soil contamination and toxic materials in the ground water on the scale being encountered by the schools in question is hardly the fault of people failing to recycle.

Again the problem is down to lax environmental enforcement and the desire to get rich quick, whatever the cost.
You can almost guarantee those responsible are long gone, enjoying their profits in another less polluted place.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-4-19 18:21:22 |Display all floors
callmecary Post time: 2016-4-19 09:59
People don't have this kind of sense nowadays.

Why not? I do such things not for myself but for my children and grandchildren to be, they are the future

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-4-19 18:22:39 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2016-4-18 21:53
You can teach them til the cows come home, about recycling and what goes into each bin. They won't ...

Then fine those who fail to comply

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-19 18:25:34 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2016-4-19 06:41
Yet another post that shows you do not know China very well. The next time the garbage man comes t ...

Oh dear, mixedup strikes again and comments on the past, this does not happen all the time now, please visit a waste transfer station in Shanghai where the small refuse lorries dump their loads and it gets transfered to the larger lorries, look at the black bags when they split open and then you will see it is not well sorted.

Besides why should it be up to someone else to sort it? Why can every householder not do their bit?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-19 18:27:05 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-4-19 10:21
Your foul-reeking opinion has no basis in facts. Although recyclers do visit all the places wher ...

It was just another mixedup rant based on the poster not on the post.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-19 18:27:31 |Display all floors
sunnylin01 Post time: 2016-4-19 10:41
In my community, separate bins are available for recyclable and non-recyclable waste, but resident ...

And why do the residents not bother?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.