Author: sunnylin01

Who is to blame for the pollution scandal?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-4-18 21:53:36 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2016-4-18 21:10
Last week I put a comment like this to the residents committee of our apartment, I was told that t ...

You can teach them til the cows come home, about recycling and what goes into each bin. They won't care. It's too much work to separate mixed containers from mixed paper, and glass bottles from tin cans. "It's too difficult". In the end it still all goes into one container, and scavengers will still strew it all over the place, looking for cardboard.

You cannot educate those who refuse to be educated.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-18 22:40:27 |Display all floors
In past decades,China just stressed on GDP and ignored seriously the protect environment.Although now central government  rolled out many methods and technologies to develop environment-friendly development roads and punished strictly some illegal companies which harmed environment severely,some local authorities give some illegal firms a permit for economy development.So the executive accountability system should implemented strictly.Every scandal make civilians bear 100% harm.Civilians always are the most pathetic.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-19 06:06:57 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2016-4-18 21:53
You can teach them til the cows come home, about recycling and what goes into each bin. They won't ...

Exactly.  Our residential zone has pairs of trash bins throughout, one for recyclable trash and the other for unrecyclable.  No one separates their trash and just tosses it in either one, or as a lot of people do, on the ground nearby... then the garbage pickers come out scavaging for plastic and paper, and then strew what they don't want about on the ground.  Some people in our zone, including my wife and I, separate our trash and collect it ourselves for the recycler who routinely comes around (paper, plastic, glass and metal).  I did that back home in the States too, but had to take it to the recycling center.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-19 06:06:57 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2016-4-18 21:53
You can teach them til the cows come home, about recycling and what goes into each bin. They won't ...

Exactly.  Our residential zone has pairs of trash bins throughout, one for recyclable trash and the other for unrecyclable.  No one separates their trash and just tosses it in either one, or as a lot of people do, on the ground nearby... then the garbage pickers come out scavaging for plastic and paper, and then strew what they don't want about on the ground.  Some people in our zone, including my wife and I, separate our trash and collect it ourselves for the recycler who routinely comes around (paper, plastic, glass and metal).  I did that back home in the States too, but had to take it to the recycling center.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-19 06:41:22 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2016-4-18 15:10
Last week I put a comment like this to the residents committee of our apartment, I was told that t ...

Yet another post that shows you do not know China very well. The next time the garbage man comes to empty the bin see what happens. All the trash that has any recycling value are separated by hand by the garbage man, it will not go to waste.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-19 08:04:21 |Display all floors
That school site has only been open for a year.  There's plenty of blame to go around and it's too late to make amends for those who've developed cancer or chronic illnesses.  Why was construction allowed before the environmental assessment reports were released?  It's a safe bet that delays were costing a lot of money (read as 'greed').  Removing the soil and importing clay as a sub-foundation material is a band-aid, and an extremely bad and ineffective one at that.  Clay is an expansive soil; it expands and shrinks depending on moisture content... it will act like a sponge when drying, not a barrier; it will absorb and retain the very things you're trying to block.  It also leads to structural failure of anything built on top of it.  That's Civil Engineering 101.  This develop at all cost mentality will come around and bite you in the ass every time... this time it's costing the lives and the health of a lot of students.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2016-4-19 09:25:59 |Display all floors
mbursian Post time: 2016-4-19 08:04
That school site has only been open for a year.  There's plenty of blame to go around and it's too l ...

The thing that shocked me most is that after parents commissioned their own tests and found excessive chemical pollutants, the school still insisted it was safe and put the students' lives at risk.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.