Author: sunnylin01

Share your experience of Chinese toilets   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-3-20 18:21:46 |Display all floors
A real test of the ankles and knees. BYOP  Bring your own paper.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-3-21 13:26:12 |Display all floors
I never encountered a squat toilet, much less heard of one until I came to China.  Ignorantly, toilets were not on my list of things to research prior to arriving in China, thus I was a little perplexed with that inevitable first encounter.  Thankfully, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the basics... it's fairly logical of what goes where and how to somewhat proceed with business.  I quickly learned the first cardinal rule in a public facility: always carry paper and have it handy.  It was a small blessing that I had a map on my possession.  I couldn't fathom the idea of using one of the extra pages from my passport... but I would have.  I resided several months in a hotel until I found a job and could settle in.  On the first day came a lesson with the second cardinal rule: never flush paper down the toilet.  It was a Western-style toilet and I assumed I was a pro at using one of these... wrong.  My room lacked a plunger and I had to summon help from the hotel.  They were not impressed, but graciously forgave my ignorance... and left the plunger behind.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-3-21 13:50:21 |Display all floors
We had this one student, belgian guy, had the runs on a night out, ran to the toilet to empty his bowels...only to find to his horror Chinese toilets had no toilet paper. He told me he had to clean up with his underwear, throw his underwear away and run home...

So please do bring paper
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-3-22 16:31:23 |Display all floors
TedM Post time: 2016-3-19 10:46
I have always found it strange that when students are asked how to improve their school they always  ...

there is always a hotel or starbucks nearby which I dive in to should I get the call...
I recommend starbucks....
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2016-3-22 16:38:24 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2016-3-22 16:39
dusty1 Post time: 2016-3-20 07:39
Never saw a squat toilet till I met my wife it was a shock but I mastered the skill

good

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-3-22 17:02:33 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2016-3-22 16:38
good

It was not easy

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-22 16:19:55 |Display all floors
Jarek Post time: 2016-3-19 01:34
Not an experience you really want to share

Yes in china they can be stink. But in HK we just know to keep clean

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.