Views: 9111|Replies: 13

Share your experience of Chinese toilets   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2016-3-18 11:27:17 |Display all floors

An illustration that depicts the shortage of public toilets in Chinese urban areas. [Photo: ceramicschina.com]

Using the toilet in China can be quite the experience for any travels.  China's tourism authorities have announced the plans to build or upgrade 25,000 public toilets in 2016, 3,000 more than last year. It looks like the "public toilet revolution" will be carried out nationwide and involves both urban and rural areas. Will the campaign be successful?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-3-19 01:34:42 |Display all floors
Not an experience you really want to share

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-3-19 04:51:02 |Display all floors
A friend asked me about public facilities in Beijing. My response was, "If you have to use the public loo in Beijing, you don't have to use the public loo in Beijing."

The number one reason I gave that advice is that the loos in public here are just plain nasty. Seriously, a forest outhouse would be better. The loos here have urine, fecal matter, and used toilet paper all over the floors. And that's if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, the floor has all of those and is also flooded.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-3-19 10:46:21 |Display all floors
I have always found it strange that when students are asked how to improve their school they always bring up the subject of toilets!  and here we are, adults talking about the same thing!   Well, surely the type of toilet that is best is what you are used to. Personally I find the Asian style difficult to use and not effective in keeping out odors from the sewers. Those public ones I have found to be dirty. My personal opinion is that they are little advanced from the primitive holes in the ground. Surely by the 21st century these facilities could have improved?  My advice to foreigners is to use a hotel or large restaurants facilities. They do not mind.   And as to the idea of having tv and sofas in them... ridiculous. And as to having unisex facilities, they are ok in the west, but here I fear some men do not know how to use them cleanly, they like to do up their trousers after leaving a cubicle. And don't the ladies like to use the privacy of their own facilities to adjust make-up and gossip about boys!
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-3-20 07:39:41 |Display all floors
Never saw a squat toilet till I met my wife it was a shock but I mastered the skill

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-3-20 09:13:52 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2016-3-19 17:39
Never saw a squat toilet till I met my wife it was a shock but I mastered the skill

WHAT... ! ! ! !   you met your wife in the toilet...   what was she doing in the men's toilet..  or were you in the ladies...     

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-3-20 09:24:09 |Display all floors
saywhat Post time: 2016-3-20 09:13
WHAT... ! ! ! !   you met your wife in the toilet...   what was she doing in the men's toilet..  o ...

I never met my wife in you

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.