Author: ramesh

Foreigner: Marriage Culture [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-9-16 13:59:20 |Display all floors

You are quite correct

It IS more common in the countryside; I just haven't had the chance (yet) to attend such ceremonies.

In the cities, however, the view I often hear expressed is that this ceremony is "old-fashioned".  And I know for a fact that many aspects of it were 'outlawed' during the Cultural Revolution, which I think would have at least some effect on the modern perception of it.  

In regards to the "ceremony", most of the weddings I've attended don't really have much ceremony at all; and that is the part I regret.  Yes, the bride wears several beautiful outfits, and I think that's great -- a woman's wedding is the most important day of her life, and she SHOULD be able to enjoy it by wearing several beautiful outfits!

But for everything else -- there is a lot of drinking, there are a few games to embarass the bride and groom, and that is about it.  I can't really call it a "ceremony".  It is just a party.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-17 10:11:06 |Display all floors

Chinese marriage

For me , A Chinse , i 'll give you a advice that if you want to have a touch on Chinese marriage , then it is advisable to find a Chinese boy /girfriend.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-17 10:11:35 |Display all floors

Chinese marriage

In the past,  because of poor communication and distance between the a man and a woman, they could not see other until the day they got married. It was very common to notice that many would find that the man or the woman is not the  desirable person. But i was surprised to discover that the rate of divorce was low, what was the power that enable them to live with for such a long time? Their marriages were arranged by respecitive parent or matchmakers, they were the decision makers of the couples
As the times goes by , the current Chinese often find their Mr / MsRIGHT by chance or study/ work. More and more people have more time to get know each other, which reduce the chance of unsuitable couples.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.