Author: KIyer

Nationalism, Racism and Fascism made clearer   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-12-21 22:48:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by seanboyce88 at 2015-12-21 22:52
seneca Post time: 2015-12-21 21:21
Patriotism is a mindset and a willingness to support or defend one's home country. It is a politi ...

Thank you for this...

So, do you not think though the danger with patriotism is that sometimes the lines between patriotism and nationalism are blurred? Like KIyer was saying, with nationalism you are making out like your country is better than another. That your country is superior. But with patriotism, yeah you are supporting or defending your own country, maybe not to the extent of elevating nations, but it still creates the divide that nationalism makes, we are us, you are they. It categorizes people more, makes dividing lines between countries...

In the chinese definition it is to love your country, in the English dictionary I just checked it is a feeling of pride, but to me all of these create dividing lines between races and nationalities in much the same way as nationalism. Do you not think that such ideas are what ultimately lead to war in some situations?

I am looking for an honest dialogue. Being Scottish, we had the recent independence movement, what came around was called "civic nationalism" yet for many, I felt the sides people were taking could be broken down to; nationalists (the anti English Crowd) Patriots, The "we want an independent country crowd because it's our country" and my own crowd, Who wants self representation for our area, but isn't too bothered as to what label gets slapped on it
This is a topic that has always confused me to the point where I do not know where I stand...rather than just making an assumption, I prefer to discuss such issues. However, I have found it difficult to talk about my feelings within China as my friends are all Chinese nationalists like 99% of Chinese people here. They call themselves patriots yet clearly make remarks to me that make me feel like I could never be a proper patriot of China simply as I am not Chinese. I feel with this inability to look at the topic of nationalism in a more objective manner creates a serious block on any decent conversation with them. My last friend told me we shouldn't separate as being in Britain gave us a bigger gene pool so that we have more geniuses...after that conversation I decided to keep my thoughts to myself. There is no arguing with someone who simply cannot understand someone who does not associate with their country in such extreme ways.
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-21 22:49:24 |Display all floors
And would you look at this, we are finally back on topic on a thread for once haha
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-22 12:07:45 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-22 14:08:15 |Display all floors
canadian45 Post time: 2015-12-22 12:07
America is just another oligarchy. It is the western imperialists who kill for land and resources. H ...

different.................China is current Imperialist.

west are ex Imperialists.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-12-22 19:23:58 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.