Author: middleway

Great Leap Forward Did Worse Damage than Cultural Revolution   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-11-24 11:09:18 |Display all floors
This post was edited by seanboyce88 at 2015-11-24 11:11
robert237 Post time: 2015-11-24 11:02
If someone wrote something like the OP about Scotland would you think they were celebrating Scotla ...

I wouldn't take offence Robert, If someone pointed something out in the way Scottish people act, maybe explaining why we have such an awful drinking culture for example,  I would think about it and maybe rebuke it if I didn't feel it was true.

I couldn't care less what people think about Scotland. I am no patriot or anything like that. I will be the first to tell you that Scottish people have a lot of social issues.
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2015-11-24 11:17:20 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2015-11-23 19:09
I wouldn't take offence Robert, If someone pointed something out in the way Scottish people act, ma ...

Good for you.
But only a fool would think the OP wasn't written as a derogatory rant against China and the Chinese people.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-24 15:35:36 |Display all floors
Let me barge in just to demolish a tiny dot in your depiction of Mao: sfphoto in another thread once claimed that the C.P.C. LIBERATED CHINESE WOMEN: Bound feet adieu.

That is HUMBUG. It is NOT true. Mao did NOTHING of that. He may have added some freedoms for women though I am stumped for examples (maybe their right to continue going by their own surname; maybe also the end of polygamy though I doubt this).

The bound feet were abolished by the K.M.T. during the Republic of China days. The abolition came about due to the many vocal protests by Western missionaries. Mao inherited a society already greatly liberated from feudalism and oppression.

Thanks for clearing that up. It was a Chinese tour guide who told me that on one of my tours inland, what you say doesnt surprise me at all, the tour guide was probably fed wrong information. Just like the recent 70th anniversary of kicking out Japan had nothing to do with CCP at the time also.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-24 15:42:18 |Display all floors
One could argue that Mao's rule left the people poor but that was not his priority. His goal was to build a new political/social order and to ensure national security. That's why almost half of China's GDP went to defense industries during his time. Deng's goal was different: he wanted economic prosperity in order to improve the standard of living for the people. But Deng could not have succeeded without national security and political stability. This is the perennial problem faced by developing countries in the so-called Third World. They can't even begin developing their countries or building up their economies because they don't have political stability and national security due to internal and external threats.

That's a fair argument, Im not going to deny that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-24 15:51:19 |Display all floors
I don't despise the country, im not on a derogatory rant. My parents in law have bizarre weird primitive trance like, caveman like, animal like, eating habits. For 15 years Ive tried to understand why they are like this, what makes them act this way, because it's simply so mind boggingly strange, like nothing on earth, it's not the way a normal functioning human being acts, it's retarded behaviour. It's always done my head in trying to work out what on earth makes them like this. I always thought it must have been from the repression of the cultural revolution, but with the last 15 years of amazing development ive seen in the country the culture is returning. But their primitive brain dead eating habits remain the same. So I believe it was the effects of starvation of the Great Leap Forward that caused this and has had more of a lasting effect on them. This is what did the damage.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-24 15:58:15 |Display all floors
Or then again, maybe my parents in law are just retarded. I mean, every country has stupid weird people in it, maybe it's nothing to do with anything, they're just stupid! Maybe it is wrong for me to drag the whole recent history of China into it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-24 20:38:40 |Display all floors
middleway Post time: 2015-11-24 15:58
Or then again, maybe my parents in law are just retarded. I mean, every country has stupid weird peo ...

I think you're just confused at how your parents-in-law behaved. I don't know how to explain their behavior as I am not privy to their lives. But trying to link their behavior to a political event is something that was probably uncalled for in your post. You could go back in time to the Japanese wartime period where even worse atrocities took place but I doubt if those events have any relation to the behavior of your parents-in-law.

This will be my last post on this thread. Thank you for your comments.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.