Author: middleway

Great Leap Forward Did Worse Damage than Cultural Revolution   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-11-23 20:16:46 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-11-23 20:31:29 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-23 23:55:49 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-11-23 20:31
It is true that China has achieved some remarkable progress in prolonging the lives of its peopl ...

I was debunking the myth that Mao didn't do anything to improve the standard of living for hundreds of millions of illiterate peasants. As a practicing Communist, Mao didn't believe in economic growth for the sake of material prosperity because he was against MONEY-MAKING of any kind! What he did was to provide for the basic necessities of life: food, medicine, housing, clothing, work, security, etc. Mao was also a revolutionary Communist who waged one political campaign after another against so-called "decadent bourgeoisie" values such as materialism, hedonism or consumerism. And he did succeed in eradicating opium-addiction, concubinage, prostitution, gambling, gangsterism, warlordism, racketeering, corruption, etc.

One could argue that Mao's rule left the people poor but that was not his priority. His goal was to build a new political/social order and to ensure national security. That's why almost half of China's GDP went to defense industries during his time. Deng's goal was different: he wanted economic prosperity in order to improve the standard of living for the people. But Deng could not have succeeded without national security and political stability. This is the perennial problem faced by developing countries in the so-called Third World. They can't even begin developing their countries or building up their economies because they don't have political stability and national security due to internal and external threats.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-24 10:48:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by seanboyce88 at 2015-11-24 10:49
robert237 Post time: 2015-11-22 15:04
I see the OP is one of those who decided to move to and live in a country he despises.
In other w ...

I didn't get that he despised the country from that. I get that he was struggling to understand a part of the culture, and now he/she feels they do.

You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-24 10:57:39 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-24 11:01:53 |Display all floors
middleway Post time: 2015-11-23 16:04
Ok buddy, again im not arguing any of these poibts, I see you are passionate and very patriotic to  ...

This is another by-product of years of Chinese history, bad treatment from the British, the Japs, the Russians...The Chinese past 150 years is filled with examples of China being humiliated. So now, with the rise of Chinese nationalism (And yes, for those reading it, it is propaganda, just like the western propaganda many are complaining about) many Chinese will take massive offence at anything you say that seems even a little negative, they will defend their country bitterly. You will be bombarded with facts etc...

Although your original post was merely pointing out that, you now feel you understand why people eat like they do here in China, because they nearly starved to death...This will sadly go on to include evrything about the chinese social, political and economic landscape as it's roots lay in a touchy subject, mainly whether mao ze dong was good for China or not. There is no point arguing here, some people think he is awesome, some people think he was a monster. The people who think he is a monster think the others are brainwashed. The people who think he is awesome think the same of the other side. Ultimately I think regarding this subject, everyone is brainwashed to some extent, from both China and the west. It's better to just not get into an argument about this, you will just waste your time and the thread will ultimately turn into a comparative study of China vs America/the west...basically.

So, yes I think your original comment was very astute, I had never thought about it this way. I thought they just liked food as hobbies for busy people are lacking and I suppose eating is as good a hobby as any, however I think you may be correct in thinking that they were influenced by the fear of starving to death.
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2015-11-24 11:02:17 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2015-11-23 18:48
I didn't get that he despised the country from that. I get that he was struggling to understand a p ...

If someone wrote something like the OP about Scotland would you think they were celebrating Scotland and the Scottish people?
Get real.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.