Views: 66247|Replies: 78

What makes Chinese Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-11-5 02:02:34 |Display all floors
This post was edited by waveheatin at 2014-5-4 03:19

10 years later, I still find this topic fascinating and therefore decide to create a blog to continue this discussion. Please feel free to visit my new blog at http://curiouschinese.blogspot.com/
=======================================================================
What makes Chinese Chinese, without which Chinese become substantially less Chinese?  What are uniquely Chinese, without which Chinese are no longer Chinese?

Slowly China is climbing out its misery and humiliation that it suffered in the last two hundred years, more often than not, at the expense of its traditional cultures and values. It is therefore relevant to understand what makes Chinese Chinese. With such understanding, we will no longer live in the FEAR that we may turn ourselves into ‘Banana men”—Yellow skin with only white substance.

Please throw in any attribute, good or bad, glorious or shameful, sensible or stupid, that you think makes Chinese uniquely Chinese. If possible, please also tell us why the ones you contribute are uniquely Chinese.

Let's compile a list, and out of this list we may attempt to further identify the core Chinese attributes, without which Chinese would not be Chinese.

Finally, out of this core list, let's identify the ones that make Chinese beautiful and the ones make Chinese ugly, the ones should be kept, and the ones be abandoned.

Let’s see if we have enough talent and knowledge on this board to compile a decent list. This is a challenge to us all. Those who are not Chinese are particularly welcome to contribute for you see clearer from a distance with more rationality than emotion.

Thank you all for participation.

wave

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-5 10:36:34 |Display all floors

chinese characters and philosophy

that's the most important part of chinese culture

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-5 15:41:35 |Display all floors

my humble point.

well,It's too wide a suject to be talked over.
but i have to point out one thing;im really digusted to see some ppl to spit on street at ramdon.It definitely damnage our images,and give some tourists a bad impression.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-7 11:25:31 |Display all floors

The core

In fact ,It's Chinese makes Chinese Chinese......

Use magic tools Report

chai99 has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-7 22:36:51 |Display all floors

'Hong Pao' CULTURE

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-8 09:28:25 |Display all floors

More answers to this question

You can find many more responses to this question at following URL:

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/forumpost.shtml?toppid=16460

please copy and paste this URL into the address of your browser to view.

wave

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-8 10:36:01 |Display all floors

...Gossip!

what more can I say!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.