Views: 6048|Replies: 7

IS or ARE? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-11-14 08:27:17 |Display all floors
Could  you tell me  why "IS" is used the first sentence while "are" in the second?
1.A lot of ice cream, hamburgers and cola is not healthy.
2.Milk,cheese and fish are good for your teeth.

Here comes the context:

Is your food and drink healthy? A lot of ice cream,hamburgers and cola is not healthy. Meat is healthy but too much meat is not good for children. Cola and candy are very sweet,and too much suger is bad for you. Eat the right food and be healthy. Carrots,eggs and sweet potatoes are good for your eyes. Milk,cheese and fish are good for your teeth.A bit tired? Have lots of delicious chicken soup!

Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-14 10:06:51 |Display all floors
Would anyone like to share his/her own opions on that? Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-18 07:27:07 From mobile |Display all floors
Verbs have to agree with subjects. In the first example the subject 'a lot' is singular so use 'is'. In the second, the subject is a list of several items, so we use 'are'. Thank goodness the Chinese language does not have these silly rules!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-12-18 08:10:10 |Display all floors
Daveofse3 Post time: 2015-12-18 07:27
Verbs have to agree with subjects. In the first example the subject 'a lot' is singular so use 'is'. ...

No, Chinese just confuses us with measure words, ping, bei, wan , zhang, ge, they confuse the hell out of me

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-18 08:31:55 |Display all floors
A lot of ........... one lot, (collective noun) therefore the singular form of the verb is needed
Milk, cheese, fish ............ three types (of food), the plural form must be used

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-18 22:25:09 From mobile |Display all floors
hippo. don't worry too much about is/are. Lots of English people get this wrong! Chinese confuses me as well but learning lots of verb tables is something we don't need to worry about

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-3 18:43:50 |Display all floors
At first sight, I catch the subject "a lot", a singular.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.