Views: 10400|Replies: 17

What makes Chinese Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-11-4 02:44:16 |Display all floors
What makes Chinese Chinese?

I have the bad habit of writing long messages and pushing my opinions aggressively on this board. But I did learn from you fellows, a lot in fact. One of the stimuli I received from you is the question asked above. I do not have an answer and my poor education in history does not even allow me to present an educated guess. For this reason, I like to search the answer from as many sources as possible.

(1) So what are uniquely Chinese? Can we compile a long list?  Please throw in any attribute, good or bad, glorious or shameful, sensible or stupid,  that you think makes Chinese uniquely Chinese. If possible, please also tell us why the attribute you contribute is uniquely Chinese.

(2) Out of this list we may attempt to further identify the core Chinese attributes, without which Chinese would not be Chinese.

Let’s see if we have enough talent and knowledge on this board to compile a decent list. This is a challenge to us all. Those who are not Chinese are particularly welcome to contribute for you see clearer from a distance with more rationality than emotion.

Thank you all for participation.

wave

Use magic tools Report

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-4 07:25:13 |Display all floors

"What makes Chinese Chinese?"

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

freeman has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-4 10:26:08 |Display all floors

"What makes Chinese Chinese?"

Use magic tools Report

freewill has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-4 10:34:20 |Display all floors

: )

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-4 13:43:11 |Display all floors

my silly ideas

Likely there is no single factor that makes a Chinese Chinese, but there must be some key factors, without even just one of which a Chinese becomes much less Chinese. Among such factors is, I think, the Chinese language in its various dialects, without which a person, regardless of one’s nationality, would be much less of a Chinese, for without it one is much less likely able to soak into a Chinese culture to be cultivated into a Chinese.

Another factor, less critical than the one above though, may be our superstition. We are a people quite afraid of the dead and ghosts, believing that the universe is roamed with ghostly spirits, which at any moment could come to do magic on us. Even in bright day light, few of us, definitely not me, dare to venture into a grave yard alone. My back immediately chills the moment I see a grave alone.  You may laugh at me but it is one of the most deeply rooted psyche in me that I find impossible to explain.

For this reason, we are much more willing to believe magic power, not religious power but some unknown physics beyond our comprehension, such as the various super capacities claimed by some people with ‘GongFu’. We Chinese, including many most highly educated Chinese, are much inclined to lend these magicians a willing ear.

With such a silly factor proposed to be a key Chinese attribute, anything else will be more sensible, and nothing else is more laughable. Please therefore feel free to throw in anything that YOU think make a Chinese Chinese.

wave

Use magic tools Report

jimili has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-4 14:15:19 |Display all floors

chinese.....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-4 17:23:35 |Display all floors

saf

bvc

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.