Author: Perfumecity

People Without a Country: The Gypsies   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-11-3 15:40:50 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Perfumecity at 2015-11-3 17:15
KIyer Post time: 2015-10-18 08:23
There is a good book about the Gypsies titled "Bury me standing" by Isabel Fonseca. A very good read ...

I'll find that book to read if there’s a chance.     

Speaking of Gypsies can always remind me of a movie titled Yesenia that I saw when I was a lil girl. Oh…their beautiful dresses, fantastic wagons & their mysterious yet legendary life. A cosmopolitan nation, they are on the way to somewhere for keeps, which I think brings them many uncertainties as well, but they go the distance. Do they put faith in the distance where hope inhabits? Not all nations have such grit & backbone. These all r puzzling to me.            

As for the human spirit, I suspect Gypsies r freedom supremacy, the freedom of spirit without the purpose of politics or territory, hence they travel around the world making home everywhere, leading a happy or unhappy life. Keep thinking while they keep moving!      

In China, people from Henan province r described as Chinese Gypsies. My mother was from Henan, so perhaps I can say that I have part of spirit of Gypsies.      

Smile at whatever happens.
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2015-11-3 16:01:47 |Display all floors
Perfumecity Post time: 2015-11-3 17:40
I'll find that book to read if there’s a chance.     

Speaking of Gypsies can  ...

thanks for your post and sharing your association with the spirit of Gypsies. Yes, there is something in all of us that Gypsies embody - our spirit of utter freedom, wandering, seeing and living all over the world as if it were our own home (which it truly is) and doing it as a community.
Do share more about Chinese Gypsies. There are some from central India too, called 'Banjaras'. They too wander even now with all this urbanisation. They have very beautiful, colourful handwork in making clothes with mirrors and embroidery. I got one made by them, when I lived there. They used to work in helping construct houses and moved on. I thought it rather fitting and apt, that they themselves did not want permanent fixed houses, but helped build them for others. It was a mutually agreeable trade.

They were very tough people and their liquor and food packed a punch! They would all gather and eat together and sing and dance every day! Beautiful people, very sharp too!
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.