Author: futsanglung

Parcel bombs in Guangxi   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-10-6 09:41:12 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2015-10-6 09:38
Been to the city of Liuzhou for three or four days. A not too big place, closer to Guilin to the e ...

Much of Guangxi is poor, even the capital city Nanning is not too great, the minority villages are probably the worst but having spent a lot of time in the province I can say that most of the people are very friendly and welcoming with the exception of Guilin where all they are interested in is parting you with  your money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-6 17:12:01 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2015-10-6 09:41
Much of Guangxi is poor, even the capital city Nanning is not too great, the minority villages are ...

Yes I got the impression that Liuzhou was quite poor, I haven't been to Nanning. Clearly Guilin had a much different "vibe" to it, again a not too big sized city but this time clearly oriented towards the hordes of tourists ( very largely Chinese ) and commerical money making enterprises ( e.g. the garishly lit caves, the main street closed for ordinary souvenir sales available at the night market, and the riverside parks that you had to pay to get into ). I think that nearby Yangshuo has some breath-taking scenery and you can jump on a bike or motorcycle to explore some of the more rural areas, but on my third visit there I was disappointed to see the closure of the Meo breakfast cafe and the opening of a McDonalds. Another spot to be overrun by tourists, unfortunately as a westerner myself this tended to spoil the township of YS but not the enjoyment of visits to other outlying places. Still great food, including the local speciality beer fish.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-10-6 19:06:15 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2015-10-6 17:12
Yes I got the impression that Liuzhou was quite poor, I haven't been to Nanning. Clearly Guilin ha ...

The night market in Guilin used to be along the riverside, it was great then but when they moved it to the pedestrian street and on top of " Little Hong Kong " it lost is character.

As to Yangshou, I had many a happy day there but that has also been ruined, West Street used to be a good place for genuine antiques, fake CD's and Chinglish food, now it is a run of unikit shops selling tack at inflated prices, I will not be going again.

Is Minnie Maos Cafe still going?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-10-6 21:17:41 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-10-6 21:30:34 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-6 21:45:13 |Display all floors
So it's home grown terrorism?
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-6 21:48:17 |Display all floors
youknowhat Post time: 2015-10-1 20:53
back then was anthrax just not so sure WHICH version that we should be concernin

Weaponized anthrax is by far more deadly.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.