Author: sunnylin01

6 lessons learned from 3 months in China   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2015-9-28 07:49:15 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-9-27 23:44
I have a far more invasive experience: almost every supermarket, shoppingmall or boutique freeze ...
The laowai then is followed around into every corner of the premises, never too discreetly. The shop assistants act as if they were store detectives preventing a blind shoplifter from lifting cans of beer.

depends on the impression the laowai creates.. I never encountered such a problem.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-9-28 13:55:32 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-1 14:04:33 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2015-10-1 14:19
sunnylin01 Post time: 2015-9-21 16:33
Everything is food here

The relationship with food in China is fascinating, and I was amazed at the ...

"In China, each person has a bowl of rice and eats directly from shared plates in the center. While this style of eating makes it hard to dine individually in some restaurants, it creates a communal feeling, making food more than just nutrition."

Yes, 'more than nutrition', it's full of germs too!  Communal style eating is downright unhygienic!
And don't be surprised if you found out that the meals you have eaten were cooked in 'gutter oil', and the 'ingredients' used were not pork, chicken or fish, but artificial flavorings that smell and taste like the real thing, and such flavorings are prohibited by law, but who cares!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-3 11:19:59 |Display all floors
Jim9 Post time: 2015-10-3 02:24
Gossip and gossips...you are a whorthles racist.

Gossips?  How out of touch you are!  
These are facts aired on none other than China's TV programs.  Surprisingly, even the local authorities admit they exist, but here comes a 'nationalist' who can't accept it being mentioned by a foreigner!  Must be too shameful for you!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-10-5 19:57:25 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2015-9-28 07:49
depends on the impression the laowai creates.. I never encountered such a problem.

But did you not tell us before you have never visited China?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-6 08:36:17 |Display all floors
china is beautiful ,  chinese people are very friendly,our culture is very colorful,we are proud to be chinese,therefore,i feel so happy that you like china

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-12 11:23:36 |Display all floors
Chinese is not more difficult than other languages.  People just have the impression that it's difficult because all the hard part smacks you in the face from the very beginning.  But after that it gets progressively easier and more simplistic.  Most languages are the opposite.  It starts out easier and gets progressively more difficult.  Because of this, people think it's exceedingly difficult, but rather, it's just a matter of an inverted learning curve.  See here for further explanation.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.