Author: middleway

China, I Understand Your Pain, But It's Time to Move On From Japan Apology   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-8-15 15:30:51 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-8-15 15:32:23 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-15 15:34:08 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-15 18:20:06 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-15 18:34:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2015-8-15 18:36

In the name of happiness, every great teacher teach about forgiveness, closures, reconciliations, move on.

And every dastardly politician demands apologies, revenge, twist history, makes use of history.

Take your pick

so! What kind of country is China building?

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-15 18:40:54 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-15 19:07:27 |Display all floors
"China has long ago buried the issue when both the CPC and the KMT refused to accept the offer of wartime reparations from post-war Japan. The problem are the different administrations in Japan who oscillate between regret to denial."

A couple of small pints before the bigger picture point ...

It is constantly hung around the Japanese necks that they did not pay war reparations. Even today in some elements of Chinese media.

Japan's government's oscillating between regret and denial: Which other government administration took the position of denial? Murayama made his statement 20+ years ago and yet the same accusations, same demands were consistently made. He made the apology but noting came from it ... except more demands for more apologies. I think this demonstartes little movement or little intention to seek movement on the part of the Chinese administration too.

Everyone outside of the right-wing element knows Abe is a nutjob ... but it still doesn't changed the fact that until now, Japan has ito date instituted and observed the pacifist constitution, the people of Japan (as you pointed out) do not support his new measures, they have made numerous apologies to Chinese government on atrocities, comfort women etc. ... but  - the country, the people - continues to be portrayed in the mainland as a country of angry, atrocity denying, right wing, nationalists with a hatred for China ... the TV shows, the movies, the orchestrated demonstrations on various anniversaries, and even how history is taught in schools, points to a refusal on the part of Chinese government to move on. I do think that the Japanese are puppet on a string for the Chinese administration to pull the strings every now and again. It is too powerful an issue for them to soften their stance and move forward for it can be used in so many (foreign policy) political ways.

We are talking about how China can move on ... yet once again ... all the onus on moving on comes down to demands on how the Japanese need to behave. 70 years on. China can move on. But demanding that ALL Japanese come to agreement on how China views these incidents is never going to happen ... no matter how loud and how many times the demands are shouted. It takes a shift in attitude from both sides, not just one.

coralbay, your points are valid, yes I do believe Japan has definitely got some work to do as well. I just think it's time for China to be the bigger player here, and when they do, then Japan will be left to face its problems.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.