Author: middleway

China, I Understand Your Pain, But It's Time to Move On From Japan Apology   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-8-15 11:51:15 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-15 11:56:21 |Display all floors
There is a point that China needs to move on.

Yet there is also an obligation that China keeps Japan in check along with others like Korea, Indochina, Indonesians and Australia. How this is done China can start thinking with those willing.

China's obligations do not stop with Japan. On the global stage there are US, Russia, Germany, UK, Indonesia, India, France and China's immediate neighbors. Where terror reigns, perhaps China now needs to come to the front to work with the others to stem such terror from reigning. China needs to rise above stalled mentality - Japan has proven that it can't ever.

China's strength lies with its people, not the land, resources or wealth. Human values should form the core reason for China's existence. China can reach out with greater humanity purposes, one that can be seen by the world that is inclusive. Hold back anger. No doubt here China needs to thread carefully due to unresolved issues. But it is with this and through this challenges that China becomes better.

So China move one differentiating China with other mediocres like Japan for one.

Well written and well said leiztorc, beyond Japan, all of China's neighbours and China's position on the world stage. Nice one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-15 11:58:17 |Display all floors
The problem is not with China but with the righ-wing elements in Abe's Japan who are trying to white-wash WWII history by:

1) Sanitizing history books 2) Denying WWII atrocities 3) Playing the victim card by not acknowledging Japan's WWII crimes. To be sure, Japanese administrations in the past have apologized repeatedly for WWII atrocities but it's the current administration headed by Shinzo Abe that is trying to undo those past apologies.

Sorry it's not China's problem but Abe's Japan to deal with their WWII atrocities before the world.

Yes, I don't disagree with you sfphoto, these things are true. But still, China's problem is to now become the bigger player here and move beyond. Japan has issues they have not properly dealt with. Keep moving forward and powering ahead China and one day Japan will have to deal with these issues themselves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-15 12:01:03 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-15 12:10:05 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2015-8-15 12:18
coralbay Post time: 2015-8-15 12:01
I think we would agree that these right-wingers do not represent the majority view in Japan. Yet I ...

Abe is facing a LOT of opposition from his own people regarding his attempts to rewrite the pacifist Constitution imposed by MacArthur so that post-WWII Japan can effectively remilitarize itself. Japanese lawyers oppose his move as unconstitutional; Japanese corporations oppose his move as needlessly antagonistic; Japanese citizens oppose his moves as the tactics of a warmongerer.

The world should not have a double-standard: one for Germany and another for Japan. Germany has shown the way in coming to terms with their Nazi past while Japan has not with Abe making it worse by backtracking on earlier apologies.

Whether the Chinese should complain about Abe's lack of contrition is not the issue. It's Shinzo Abe and his right-wing cohorts who have brazenly attempted to reshape post-WWII Japan in his own "nationalist" image.

THAT is the problem.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-15 12:29:33 |Display all floors
I think we would agree that these right-wingers do not represent the majority view in Japan. Yet I do worry about how these issues are reported on and represented in Chinese media too. IMHO, there appears to be too much "Japan is sanitizing history books" rather than "the right wing minority is attempting to introduce a sanaitized history book in e.g. the Kanto ward of Tokyo". I can't help but also feel that there is a significant element among the Chinese nationalist base that don't want to present information in this way - they in some way get satisfaction from their hatred of Japan ... a never-ending circle.

But the bottom line is this minority of right-wingers are not going to be going away any time soon. When Abe wasn't in power, the issues were the same i.e. history books, shrines, territory spats etc. demands for more sincere apologies almost every year. Even after Abe is gone, I imagine the demands will be the same. So for me, the bigger question is "Does China, as a nation, actually want to move on?" and if so, how can they can about it?

Yes, awesome stuff Coralbay, very good questions you raise there. All the 100s of TV shows recently all focussing on Japans old wartime aggression too. That is getting out of control, trting to feed hatred into peoples minds it seems, either that or trying to distract people getting angry about domestic issues instead.

Does China want to move on? That is a brilliant question you raise.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-15 12:31:16 |Display all floors
Abe is facing a LOT of opposition from his own people regarding his attempts to rewrite the pacifist Constitution imposed by MacArthur so that post-WWII Japan can effectively remilitarize itself. Japanese lawyers oppose his move as unconstitutional; Japanese corporations oppose his move as needlessly antagonistic; Japanese citizens oppose his moves as the tactics of a warmongerer.

The world should not have a double-standard: one for Germany and another for Japan. Germany has shown the way in coming to terms with their Nazi past while Japan has not with Abe making it worse by backtracking on earlier apologies.

Whether the Chinese should complain about Abe's lack of contrition is not the issue. It's Shinzo Abe and his right-wing cohorts who have brazenly attempted to reshape post-WWII Japan in his own "nationalist" image.

THAT is the problem.

Yes, that is a fair and valid point too sfphoto

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.