Views: 415|Replies: 4

Child safety in the hands of grown-ups [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-7-22 14:12:52 |Display all floors
Child safety seats are on display during an exhibition in Shanghai, China, on July 24, 2014. [Photo/IC]
The news of children dying of possible hyperthermia after being left in locked cars has shocked people. But is the act of locking children in cars a crime or just a negligent behavior? The answer would depend on the person responsible.
According to media reports, from 2006 to 2015, eight childre ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-22 14:12:53 |Display all floors
I absolutely agree with the idea that the government should come up with regulations to ensure the safety of the children.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-23 06:42:04 |Display all floors
I am glad the article expressing the caring side of the issue. I am outlining the logistics. We can't talk to dead people, so we don't know from the children what happened prior to being isolated in a car. A normal prior sequence of events includes isolation for safety from bullying, isolation for safety from disappearance in a crowd, and also, isolation for safe, effective efficiency, depending on what else is happening. In such normal situation, the parental guardians talk with the children in the car about the buttons for air conditioning, heat, the brakes, what to touch, what not to touch, where the horn is and when to blast it. Children who cannot use these basics appropriately cannot be left in a car, whereas, children familiar with the routine are reasonably safe alone in a working car far from traffic. Next level of the logistics: brats and dead kids show where the risks are. Brats play with the brakes because that's funny, then get into trouble because that's exciting. Dead children were evidently unprepared for being in a car alone. Most children don't know CO2 poisoning has no clear warning in the trusted environment of a running car, so need to be informed to stay in the open air. In Canada, dead children are without doubt parental responsibility. However, in Canada, we have a long-standing debate about brats since we often see good, competent parents doing their best, and we disagree with the archaic laws that blamed parents for anything the brats did, as though life were kindergarten forever without consequences, and the same archaic laws prohibited parents from disciplining their children. I've been away from Canada to be unaware of the on-the-ground implementation of that societal debate nowadays, however, those brats are so exceedingly expensive and the old law was a trap, so, some of the accidents could have been sad murders. I wouldn't be surprised. I have seen cold kills subsequently cry, so, no, I don't agree with the automatic bias that crying means killing is okay, although, yes, tears are a good hint of where the truth is.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.