Author: dusty1

What do Chinese parent dont teach their children?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-6-20 16:15:28 |Display all floors
I have to remind myself every day that although China has developed its business and industry and wealth unbelievably quickly, many social issues have lagged behind. Some seem almost 100 years behind fully developed countries. With a rapidly growing middle class this issue is becoming very topical. The richest families have always been privileged to educate their children, many by sending abroad. But those with emerging affluence have not always learned how to use it, or what is best for children.
The result is "double-think" where a child's health and safety are concerned, double standards for behaviour in public and private places and outdated attitudes to how children learn and what education they need.
For example; a father may be fanatical about his child washing his hands before eating, yet allows that child to play in the toilets or run around a restaurant where hot food is being carried. The child's health and safety are important to him, yet that child can travel on his electric bike perched on the back while the father blindly soars across a busy road regardless of the traffic.
Most Chinese homes I have been invited to are clean and at Spring festival everyone is busy cleaning, yet just outside in a public entrance or alley the filth has been there for years. Bottles and paper can be thrown on the ground even if a bin is nearby.
Some behaviours are almost traditional; smoking and spitting, the latter being considered disgusting in many countries.
Parents want the very best education for their children, yet they have little understanding about child development or how children learn. The outdated testing system boosts their belief that the only way for children to be successful is to sit in classroom every day all week doing exercises for tests.... and extra tuition in any spare time plus homework!
However, many schools now are providing training for parents and I detect various initiatives and changing attitudes to acceptable social behaviour and relationships. It takes time. Patience and humour are needed here.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-20 17:51:08 |Display all floors
While your language is a bit harsh, I agree with you that Chinese kids are not properly brought up, not just in the hygiene area but in social behavior as well!  They litter right under the nose of their parents who don't even blink an eye! They don't know what hygiene is, since their parents don't insist on hygiene practices such as washing hands before eating, flushing toilets, etc.
They learn all the bad behavior from the adults around them, who spit and litter and smoke in no-smoking places!  Once I had to stop a Chinese kid from throwing his banana skin out the bus window! Now, where does he learn it from? The adults of course, he sees adults throwing garbage and even spitting out the bus window, and he thinks that is the right way to dispose of his garbage!
Chinese parents only teach their kids the importance of scoring high marks in their exams, even a 98% score is not good enough, must get 100%.  They don't teach their kids personal hygiene and social responsibility, nor how to tell right from wrong, so their kids grow up being a huge liability to society!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-20 17:57:51 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2015-6-19 21:34
That will be a hard one to explain

Even Kbay would struggle explain that

My guess is that the boy's mother had divorced, leaving him with the father or grandparents, as is quite common in China!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-20 18:11:08 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2015-6-20 18:18
TedM Post time: 2015-6-20 16:15
I have to remind myself every day that although China has developed its business and industry and we ...

"everyone is busy cleaning, yet just outside in a public entrance or alley the filth has been there for years. Bottles and paper can be thrown on the ground even if a bin is nearby."

I have observed that too! The Chinese are anti-social, they keep their own homes spick and span, but once they step outside the home, they spit, litter, carry their kids up by the legs to urinate and defecate on pavements, even in shopping mall aisle, etc!
They are selfish, don't treat public peoperty like they treat their own.  And of course their children learn all that from them, and do the same as they grow up!
Recently, I was at the bus stop when two students walked past, one dropped his styro-foam food box right in front of me; I pointed to his garbage and said, "hey, hey hey!" He walked back to pick it up and threw it into the rubbish bin nearby, apologising, "Sorry, I didn't see the bin just now"! I didn't believe him at all, but I didn't want to embarrass him further; the bin was a large one, and prominently located nearby, it is his habit of just discarding garbage anywhere without even thinking of looking for the bin! And the problem is, no one cares to remind him how to behave responsibly; there were dozens of Chinese standing and watching him, but no one, except this foreigner, would open his mouth to correct him! How sad!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-21 11:13:25 |Display all floors
Ha, you complain about one miserable kid's bad behavior; welcome to China and see for yourself; there are millions behaving even worse!
I can understand how you feel about your nephew, because you are not used to seeing such behavior. We, who have been in China, see it everyday and everywhere we go, we are so used to it, we don't complain anymore, we just shake our head in despair!
We tell ourself, if you can't accept it, you got to at least tolerate it! Complaining only makes our life more miserable!
Take it easy mate, he is not going to change! He wsa brought up that way, not even his parents and grandparents cared, why should you? If  they cared, he won't be behaving like he did.

Your nephew is a product of the Chinese way of bringing up kids!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-21 11:13:26 |Display all floors
Ha, you complain about one miserable kid's bad behavior; welcome to China and see for yourself; there are millions behaving even worse!
I can understand how you feel about your nephew, because you are not used to seeing such behavior. We, who have been in China, see it everyday and everywhere we go, we are so used to it, we don't complain anymore, we just shake our head in despair!
We tell ourself, if you can't accept it, you got to at least tolerate it! Complaining only makes our life more miserable!
Take it easy mate, he is not going to change! He wsa brought up that way, not even his parents and grandparents cared, why should you? If  they cared, he won't be behaving like he did.

Your nephew is a product of the Chinese way of bringing up kids!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-6-21 11:20:53 |Display all floors
Reading my post, this iPad does change words and misspells what I write

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.