Author: eddieturkson

Is Foreign Aid to developing Countries doing more harm than good? [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-6-4 10:48:04 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-6-4 10:53:26 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-4 11:57:34 |Display all floors
I think it depends on the TYPE of aid. I notice you and seneca stumbled upon this.

I used to do a lot of work with wateraid, (check me and my friends charity, google salsa4water or research the 4water franchise. One of my prouder accomplishments) I know that a lot of their money goes into getting water directly to areas hit by catastrophe. Another chunk of their money gets spent on sustainable water development projects. Much money is spent on creating wells and supplying filters to areas of africa, in particular sub sahara, with access to clean water.

I also used to work for UNICEF, doing fundraising projects. (street canvassing, one of the hardest jobs in the world I promise you and you get no thanks, you are seen as beggars for the most part) and they spend a lot of money on researching and providing vaccinations to new and existing diseases.

As for governmental foreign aid, I literally don't know enough to comment but I am sure some of that money must be getting spent on infrastructure somehow.

Anyway, some interesting facts about charity fundraising for those out there.

In Britain, something like only 7-9 percent of people actually donate (can't remember the exact number, check the unicef website) and more poor people give than rich people from my experience.

More money is given to animal charities than human charities. (There are more human charities than animal charities but in terms of percentage, animal charities get the lions share or so I was told while working with unicef)

6000 children die every day due to poor water supply.

You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2015-6-4 14:39:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2015-6-4 16:39

In my opinion, countries should not depend on foreign aid as the standard funding model to provide basic amenities to their population. Any aid should be specific and time bound and appropriate. In practice it is not. Countries should take care of the poor and needy in their own population before regularly giving 'aid' under whatever pretext and facade to prop up pliant dictators, despots and corrupt officials in other countries, or to tilt the economic trading field internationally, but often that is where the majority of the foreign aid goes to, with a few token causes providing photo opportunities and propaganda value. In the long run, countries would be better off suffering through a crisis on their own and building up resilient systems and people, than accepting aid with strings attached (other than those demanding transparent use for the immediate urgent humanitarian need).
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-4 14:55:09 |Display all floors
I remember a 70's documentary aired on UK TV exposing the aid scam. The US sent aid to a small African country in the form of heavy machinery to clear up land and start planting crops. The problem was that the country in question was very poor and could not afford the diesel to run such machinery. The equipment were abandoned and rusted in the jungle. The unions in Britain at the time advocated the Cuban approach to aid. This involved sending experts to educate the people in sustainable agricultural projects, not to export but to feed themselves. Clearly that advice had no takers....... apart from small groups of volunteers who did go to these poor countries and tried to help. Unfortunately there is profit in keeping people destitute, and the 70's saw the rise of the sweatshop culture. Western business made huge profits at the expense of poor nations.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-4 16:14:46 |Display all floors
TheHermit Post time: 2015-6-4 14:55
I remember a 70's documentary aired on UK TV exposing the aid scam. The US sent aid to a small Afric ...

Rightly said...."there is profit to be made in keeping people destitute". There is also there problem where some of the so called humanitarian aid, food aid to be precise to refugee camps have been found to be decades old crops from western countries particularly America. I'm certain that is what prompted them to send those machineries to help the local farm themselves. I tend to agree with the Cuban approach you mentioned- that is teaching the people to feed themselves and not wait for manner from haven.

In my fairest opinion I think unfair trade deals is one of the foremost reason keeping developing nation undeveloped. Why won't they open up their markets to African countries...increase foreign direct investment, but rather keep sending aid to corrupt leaders who misappropriate most of these funds, even humanitarian funds.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-4 20:11:14 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.