Author: Caged

Why is English compulsory in China's public schools? [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-5-25 20:14:35 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-5-25 20:18:28 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-25 20:30:42 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-26 09:28:51 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-5-25 20:08
The Chinese abhor intellectual habits such as reading and they don't learn things through observ ...

Do you have something against Chinese classics. I wouldn't mind more English classics in English schools.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-26 09:30:44 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-5-25 20:14
Please be a little more to the point in your comparisons: Where does a Polish speaker earn that  ...

I'd personally met a Chinese French teacher who'd forgotten her English over the years but who was offered a chance to teach Chinese in French-speaking countries.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-26 09:45:32 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-5-25 20:18
Let us ignore the somewhat special situation of the deaf and the value of sign language; I think ...

Why ignore the deaf? Have policy makers not ignored them enough? Also, if I'm a high school student in China who would rather learn Chinese Sign Language instead of English to be a special education teacher, social worker, or police officer in a less touristic place, why should it matter that Chinese Sign Language is not used in England? According to that logic, British Sign Language is useless because it's not used in China.I'm Canadian, but I believe Canadians could learn from the US in allowing a sign language to fulfil second language requirements for high school graduation. Also, sign languages often have their own literature, believe it or not.
And lastly, you saw people using a sign language in China. How do you know they were both deaf? Given that English is compulsory in Chinese schools, your guess was probably right. In the US though, it would be far more likely than in China or Canada that one of them was hearing and not deaf. You seem to be making the assumption that no hearing person could possibly have an interest in learning a sign language and that aural culture is somehow superior to Deaf culture. I can think of all kinds of reasons, both professionally and personally among family, friends and colleagues, why a hearing person would want to choose a sign language over English as his second language. You seem to have an interest in language teachong, so it surprises me that you would so quickly brush a sign language of as a language that only the deaf could possibly want to learn.

Also as a teacher, you should take more interest in hearing-Deaf communication, dyslexic interlinguistic communication, and language instruction policy as part of public policy. Language has many uses beyond reading literature, business and science. People seem to place so little value on learning a language to just make friends.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-26 09:47:29 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-5-25 20:30
It is a sign of our hasty, hurried and superficial time that people always ask: is it "efficient ...

All of this can apply to any language and not just English. It can even apply to a sign language. How is English any different?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.