Author: Caged

Why is English compulsory in China's public schools? [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2015-5-25 13:31:08 |Display all floors
27% of the World population speak English, so as it stands it's the best choice.

Esperanto should have been looked at more and taught Worldwide.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-25 13:52:07 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-5-25 12:25
The fact that CHinese people's English is so dismal (in 9 out of 10 cases) has a lot to do with  ...

You seem to be making a case for Esperanto here. I don't buy that the Chinese read less than others, but for the sake of argument, I'll take your word for it. If that's the case, then they need a language they can learn quickly and forget slowly, no?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-25 14:00:36 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-5-25 12:34
China has strategic goals in which foreign language skills among its people could matter, and I  ...

I don't know about precisely now, but just about five years ago, a Chinese who knew Polish could earn up to three times the English salary, and French earned about 1.1 times the English salary. A company would even pay to relocate a Spanish speaker, and another one would hire an unqualified Japanese speaker and teach her accounting.Meanwhile, I'be come across unemployed English speakers. So whatever strategy the government has in mind, it's clearly not economic. How does it benefit from labour shortages in other languages and and unemployed English speskers.

And again, last I checked, the prelingually profoundly deaf can't learn to understand an oral language, so learning English to communicate with them is silly. Those planning to work in special education, deaf education, social services, etc. could benefit from a sign lsnguage, as could certain trades where a sign lsnguage is easier than oral speech.

As for accessing literature, many quality books are available in other languages but not English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-25 14:35:33 |Display all floors
Caged Post time: 2015-5-25 04:36
So poorer countries like China should try to match Finnish funding? Isn't that like  advising your ...

China is not poor, it only invests into wrong places. Education before space programs, nuclear weapons and aircraft carriers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-25 16:15:38 |Display all floors
Is Finnish Sign Language not one of the official languages of the Finnish Constitution? I think China could learn from that example at least.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-25 17:27:43 |Display all floors
Caged Post time: 2015-5-25 10:15
Is Finnish Sign Language not one of the official languages of the Finnish Constitution? I think Chin ...

Finland has two official languages, Finnish and Swedish. The rights of the people who need sign language to get service are protected by laws. Same goes for people who use saami (native language in Lapland) as their first language.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-5-25 20:08:48 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.