Author: Caged

Why is English compulsory in China's public schools? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-5-25 08:57:46 |Display all floors
Caged Post time: 2015-5-25 02:52
Are you saying that no jobs exist outside of scientific research and business? What about the teac ...

You can do many jobs without knowing how to speak English. At least in Finland all the teachers and police officers study English and must pass Finnish, Swedish and English courses as part of their degree.

If you want to make friends abroad English is the best language for that too. English most certainly is not an elitist language. How could it be? Bad English is the most spoken language in the world. If you want to be elitist you should learn French and pretend to be diplomate or latin.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-25 09:09:11 |Display all floors
As for Quebec, I'd lived in the province (where I lived, English was even more non-existent), though I did visit the city often. But again, you're making many assumptions:

1. I've come across academic literature originally in French and translated into Esperanto, or translated into French or Esperanto from other languages that I could not find in English, some of which is top quality. Trust me, a unilingual English speaker should not assume that he has access to all the world's academic literature. The reality of the matter is that not all scientists know English, those that do do not have the time to translate their work (and their government and public might want the work in their language), translation is expensive, and governments and academic institutions have budgets to consider.

2. Not everyone can become a scientist or businessman. What about the deaf, severe dyslexics and others who would like to learn a second language? Why force them to learn a language that they have no more than 7 chances in 100 (or in China closer to 4 in 100) to learn? Are we not gambling with students' precious time by doing that?

Consider that Esperanto is the third most popular second language in Hungarian public schools after English and German, with French in fourth place. Not a bad ranking.

Also, I don't think anyone suggested Chinese be a compulsory language in the UK, but rather that it simply ought to be an option according to market demand. Espetanto is an option in the UK too, but unlike in Hungary and Poland where is is a very popular choice, in the UK only 3 elementary schools teach it. What I like about such a system is that it reflects market demand. Let students choose their second language, then let the free market take care of the rest.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-25 09:13:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Caged at 2015-5-25 09:16

Let's not forget that probably 99% of those on this forum are either native English speakers, have lived in an English-speaking environment, or have accessed higher education. Such a demographic far from reflects the general population worldwide, including China.

For instance, how many Chinese senior secondary school students would be capable of navigating this forum? I would take a guess that they would represent a small percentage on these forums.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-25 09:15:42 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2015-5-25 08:57
You can do many jobs without knowing how to speak English. At least in Finland all the teachers an ...

Finland is also Germanic, very similar to English. Hardly a basis for comparison with China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-25 09:21:52 |Display all floors
Caged Post time: 2015-5-25 03:15
Finland is also Germanic, very similar to English. Hardly a basis for comparison with China.

Finnish language has nothing to do with English language. It actually is part of the same language family as Hungarian language but they are very far apart. The only language Finnish has a lot in common is Estonian language.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-25 09:31:01 |Display all floors
Caged Post time: 2015-5-25 03:09
As for Quebec, I'd lived in the province (where I lived, English was even more non-existent), though ...

Hungary and Finland are both small countries and the world doesn't care if we stop learning English and stop communicating with them. English is as important skill as reading, writing, basic computer skills and math - everyone should learn it  at least to certain level.

I have never heard of a person who is complaining that why he wasted all this time learning English instead of Esperanto.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-25 09:32:03 |Display all floors
I stand corrected. So how do the Finns succeed with English everyone else struggles? Then again, the fact that police officers must take an English tests suggests they don't trust high school level English, which could be viewed as a failure of universal public education.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.