Author: kenein

Would you make friends with HIV carriers? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-5-7 21:59:50 |Display all floors
If you even have to ask this question I don't think you quite understand what friend means.

What an awful bloody topic.
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-7 22:10:01 |Display all floors
No matter who she was, my intimate friend or my ordinary friend, I would also contact with her. after all, there are certain several channels that can be infected by this kind of disease. normal contact did not have any influence to each other.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-7 23:54:07 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2015-5-7 21:59
If you even have to ask this question I don't think you quite understand what friend means.

What a ...

Sadly one of the first things I am asked in China is:
'will you be my friend?' - a question asked by adults.

I get a flash-back to being 5 years old in the playground when I hear this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-7 23:56:21 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2015-5-7 21:13
Not as sad as spending time in Africa with HIV/AIDS victims who are shunned by their society and f ...

this also includes ignorance of basic safe sex, (or any sex education for that matter)
More STD's in China are transmitted through unsafe sex (according to the WHO)

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2015-5-8 09:55:48 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-5-9 08:42:53 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2015-5-7 21:13
Not as sad as spending time in Africa with HIV/AIDS victims who are shunned by their society and f ...

I think, in this case there are no degrees of sadness. But the horror of those deliberately infect/get infected - through lack of education or perverse disregard is indeed a tragedy.
There was an article recently in CD about the explosion of HIV cases in male university dorms due to unprotected sex. When I brought it up with my colleagues, so that they could recognize at risk factors or possible illness, they were shocked that sex even happens in the dorms. Methinks China, at the grassroots level, has a long way to go to opening their eyes to this harsh reality.  
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-5-9 23:17:51 |Display all floors
teamkrejados Post time: 2015-5-9 08:42
I think, in this case there are no degrees of sadness. But the horror of those deliberately infect ...

I agree with your summation. When sex is pretty much a taboo subject then HIV/AIDS thrives. It's very difficult to really explain to older Chinese that 40% of university students in China are sexually active by the time they graduate.  Couple this with a real lack of safe sex and sex education then there's a timebomb waiting to explode in the wings as it were.

I know for a fact that the central government is acutely aware of the issue and that they have been agonising over a workable solution to the problem that won't offend many older Chinese people. It's a bit like wandering in to a close packed minefield blindfolded from a government perspective.  Western governments had the same problems to contend with in the mid to late 80s when HIV really hit the news.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.