Author: smuffy

Being a foreigner in China   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-5-10 14:06:27 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-5-9 16:19
Your racist oversimplifications are a scourge to this forum, do you know that?

"The white Engli ...

Why are your ranting against Chinese English teachers? I am not one of them, and I fully agree with you that they are not fit to teach English, that's why the country needs foreign teachers. My beef is that all foreign teachers must be treated equally, based on ability, not the color of their skin! And yes, there are some Canadian Chinese, Koreans etc teaching English, but they are the minority, and only in places where whites refuse to go, so schools settle for their second or third choices, and they are not paid as high as the whites! The fact that their first choice is whites goes to show there is a prejudice!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-10 14:51:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2015-5-12 03:47
pnp Post time: 2015-5-10 13:04
'and 2) the largest English-speaking country in the world'

You are dead wrong there! They are not ...

Both India and the Philippines are home to the largest English-speaking call-centers serving the North American market. But the Philippines have surpassed India because Filipinos speak American-accented English, patronize U.S. popular culture and willingly serve their American customers even at odd hours of the night working in call-centers. Neither Indians nor Filipinos are "native-speakers" of English but they do speak English as an official language.

If you're a 华侨, Chinese people expect you to speak Chinese regardless of your nationality, birthplace or generation. If you're an East Asian, Chinese people expect you to speak an East Asian language not English. I guess it's an "East Asian" thing because East Asian countries as racially homogeneous and socially conservative nations never were really colonized by Western Powers unlike say the Philippines or India where English proficiency is seen as some kind of class privilege granted by the Western Powers. The only place in China colonized by the West was Hong Kong. But look at the English proficiency of Hong Kong Chinese and compare them to Filipinos, Indians and Chinese-Singaporeans who speak English with a local flavour called "Singlish". There is nothing wrong with requiring an English-teacher to be a "native-speaker" of English but the racial typecasting is admittedly bad. Someone born and raised in the U.K. should be treated as a "native-speaker" of English regardless of race or ethnicity. But someone born and raised in the Philippines would never qualify as a "native-speaker" of English regardless of how hard they try emulating the Americans.

In the future, China would need to train millions of foreign-language speakers not only in English but Russian, Spanish, German, Portuguese, etc.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-5-10 21:24:00 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-11 10:51:55 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-5-10 21:24
I am tired of your racist and racial profiling! You obviously hate a lot of different peoples, i ...

'You obviously hate a lot of different peoples, including the Filipinos. Shame on you! '

Where is the evidence I hate a lot of people? In fact I am fighting for their rights by exposing the prejudice against those who are not white!
Obviously you don't like to have this topic given a good airing because it is to your advantage to perpetuate this situation. But have you spared a thought for the other foreigners in China who a placed at a huge disadvantage because of the color of their skin and physical appearance?
You and people like you have this superiority complex, based on the color of your skin, in China! Don't forget it is this superiority complex that led Germany down the road to Nazism and the extermination of other races! While the situation here is not that grave, we must never allow it to take root in China; everyone should compete on a level playing field! Yes, the Chinese have a preference for whites, but you should not exploit it to your advantage!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-11 10:57:04 |Display all floors
I am tired of your racist and racial profiling! You obviously hate a lot of different peoples, i ...

'I would prefer a Filipino English teacher over them any time. The Tagalog interferences in his or her English is not wrong; ...'

You can keep that opinion to yourself, the thousands of Filipino maid employers all over South East Asia and Hong Kong have a different opinion. They are mighty concerned their kids ending up speaking tagalog Engish!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-11 11:01:12 |Display all floors

'You have elected to be the advocate of a tiny minority of disgruntled foreigners with Chinese genes. '

You are wrong again! I am not an advocate for just that 'tiny minority of disgruntled foreigners with Chinese genes. '. Read my posts carefully! I call for a level playing field for all! I don't want the Chinese to carry on with their racial prejudice!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-11 11:06:13 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2015-5-10 14:51
Both India and the Philippines are home to the largest English-speaking call-centers serving the No ...

'The only place in China colonized by the West was Hong Kong'

You can't even get your history right! Qingdao in Shandong was colonised by the Germans, and they were the ones who built that brewery that churns out the famous Tsingtao Beer!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.