Author: smuffy

Being a foreigner in China   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-5-8 10:10:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2015-5-8 12:07
seneca Post time: 2015-5-7 19:44
I think you give the Patriarch of yore too much credit for black and white cats; he never uttere ...

'I think you give the Patriarch of yore too much credit for black and white cats; he never uttered that statement in connection with foreign English teachers. By the way, no English teachers, foreign or Chinese, are supposed to catch mice...'

Of course he didn't specifically mention it in connection with English teachers, but his maxim is universal, and I am applying it to the white English teacher syndrome in China. I think it fits very well here!
And, btw, don't try to ridicule or belittle Mr Deng; had it not been for him, you and your other foreign friends won't even be here today, because then China would not have any jobs for you! Don't bite the finger that feeds you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-8 12:02:19 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2015-5-7 14:49
If you want to see a country suffering from "colonial mentality", go to the Philippines. Filipinos  ...

'This post was edited by sfphoto at 2015-5-8 05:07

pnp Post time: 2015-5-7 13:00
'The problem is not the Chinese; it's the way you project your racial issues onto the Chinese who  ...
If you want to see a country suffering from "colonial mentality", go to the Philippines. Filipinos pride themselves in being 1) the only Christian nation in Asia and 2) the largest English-speaking country in the world; the former because the Spanish Conquistadores colonized the Philippines and the latter because the U.S. Military murdered one-sixth of the population in the first recorded genocide of the 20th century.

'Far from having an "inferiority complex", the mainland Chinese expect Overseas Chinese to speak Chinese to them; otherwise, they'll be treated as persona non grata or worse a traitor'

I did mention somewhere that the Chinese have an inferiority complex vis-a-vis the whites, but a superiority complex vis-a-vis other Asians!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-9 08:03:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2015-5-9 08:25
pnp Post time: 2015-5-8 12:02
'This post was edited by sfphoto at 2015-5-8 05:07

pnp Post time: 2015-5-7 13:00
I did mention somewhere that the Chinese have an inferiority complex vis-a-vis the whites, but a superiority complex vis-a-vis other Asians!

"Inferiority complex"?  Go to the Phillippines and see for yourself what "colonial mentality" is.

In the Philippines, Filipinos pride themselves in speaking American-accented English, Chinese don't. If you are an Overseas Chinese from a foreign country -- whether Western or not -- you'll be treated badly if you speak only English and not Chinese. If you're African from an African country, an Asian from an Asian country or a Latino from a Latin American country, then the Chinese won't treat them as English-speaking Westerners regardless of whether they speak English or not. Outside of the U.K., most white Europeans don't even speak English as an official language. It's ethnic typecasting not "inferiority or superiority" complex. Just because Chinese want to learn English and buy Western brands doesn't mean they worship white Westerners at all. It's all part of the Chinese consumerist lifestyle like the Japanese who hire white Westerners as fashion models and buy Western luxury brands including iPhones. If you want to see a country where people worship white Westerners and want to be like them, go to the Philippines. What they have there is called "colonial mentality" because Filipinos have an "inferiority complex" vis-a-vis the whites, but a "superiority complex" vis-a-vis other Asians.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-5-9 16:19:40 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-5-9 16:24:02 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-10 13:04:00 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2015-5-7 14:49
If you want to see a country suffering from "colonial mentality", go to the Philippines. Filipinos  ...

'and 2) the largest English-speaking country in the world'

You are dead wrong there! They are not English-speaking, they speak their native language tagalog, except that because they receive an English education, they can speak some English which is peppered with a strong tagalog accent! There has been much concern among employers of Filipino maids that their children are picking up tagalog English from their maids. And surprisingly, the Chinese recruit them as English teachers over western born and bred Chinese who speak better English than the Filipinos. The only reason is that the Filipinos look foreign, whereas the overseas Chinese look Chinese and Chinese parents prefer a foreign teacher with a foreign look regardless of his tagalog accent! The proverbial problem of judging a book by its cover!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-10 13:16:52 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2015-5-7 12:36
There are lots of native English speakers in India, Philippines, etc. Even Chinese-Singaporeans and ...

'There are lots of native English speakers in India, Philippines, etc'

Sorry, you are stretching the concept of native English speakers too far! Gosh, I never knew Indians and Filipinos are called native English speakers until now! A native English speaker by popular definition is one whose mother tongue is English; certainly the Indians and Filipinos don't meet that definition because their mother tongue is not English! But my beef is not with them teaching English, as long as they are qualified with foreign expert certifucates. I am against the Chinese insisting on whites for teachers, as if other races with good English education can't teach. Back to the age old problem of white worshipping!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.