Author: smuffy

Being a foreigner in China   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-5-7 12:54:59 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2015-5-7 12:11
Disagree.

If that were true, then the CPC would have allowed the Capitalist West to own China's ec ...

You got it so wrong, I am not a 'non-white minority in a Western country'!
I am speaking up from a neutral position, nothing to do with me personally. I am aghast at a people who don't have some self-respect, always worshipping whites! And I am not the only one to speak up against reverse racism, ie Chinese dicriminating against their own kind. Read my other blog in which I mentioned that this same topic was raised by a foreign CD journalist whose every attempt to get her Canadian Chinese friend a teaching job in Beijing was turned down because her friend 'didn't look like a foreigner'!
Stop your personal attacks, address the issue, not the poster; that is the forum rule!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-7 13:00:45 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2015-5-7 13:10
sfphoto Post time: 2015-5-7 12:11
Disagree.

If that were true, then the CPC would have allowed the Capitalist West to own China's ec ...

'The problem is not the Chinese; it's the way you project your racial issues onto the Chinese who don't share your agony of being a non-white minority in a Western country.'

You must be living in fairyland if you think this is not a problem of the Chinese not having self-respect. There are many other bloggers who wrote on this; one that comes to mind immediately is "China's 'rent-a-foreigner' industry is booming"!
And right here a blogger wrote, "Check this out. Foreigners being rented to increase the appeal an value of real estate projects.  http://goo.gl/xj8XRv"

If you don't think the Chinese has got a racism problem then you've got to have your head examined. Or, perhaps you are a Chinese yourself, and can't see your own problem, you need others to point it out to you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-7 14:49:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2015-5-8 05:07
pnp Post time: 2015-5-7 13:00
'The problem is not the Chinese; it's the way you project your racial issues onto the Chinese who  ...

If you want to see a country suffering from "colonial mentality", go to the Philippines. Filipinos pride themselves in being 1) the only Christian nation in Asia and 2) the largest English-speaking country in the world; the former because the Spanish Conquistadores colonized the Philippines and the latter because the U.S. Military murdered one-sixth of the population in the first recorded genocide of the 20th century.

Far from having an "inferiority complex", the mainland Chinese expect Overseas Chinese to speak Chinese to them; otherwise, they'll be treated as persona non grata or worse a traitor.

The Singapore government had this problem when they launched the "Speak Mandarin" campaign in the 90s: that Chinese-Singaporeans were losing their ethnic identity because they were speaking English at home. This campaign was so successful that most Chinese-Singaporeans today speak Mandarin Chinese at home even though they may use English at work or in school.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-5-7 19:36:47 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-5-7 19:44:41 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-8 09:54:19 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2015-5-8 12:04
seneca Post time: 2015-5-7 19:44
I think you give the Patriarch of yore too much credit for black and white cats; he never uttere ...

'The Chinese think these people are smarter than the rest of the Whites and about half as smart as Mainland Chinese who only speak Chinese.

You have exposed your ignorance with regards Chinese worshipping of whites. To say that the Chinese value only those whites who have good Chinese language skill, is bulshit! The Chinese only look at the color of the skin, if it's white, they welcome them with open arms, no matter if they are not qualified to teach, being unable to get a foreign expert certificate, a minimum requirement to teach in China! Don't you know there are hundreds if not thousands of white teachers working illegally in China, without work visas and without foreign expert certs? I have no problem with anyone, white, black or brown working in China if he does so legally!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-8 10:00:59 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-5-6 22:44
Your characterisation of hina as "bearing one of colonialism's heaviest shackles…" is way over  ...

'Unfortunately, Chinese are rare among these teachers. Chinese English teachers seldom teach the language; they teach to pass exams, and exams test irrelevant aspects of the English language. '

You have completely missed the author's point; you keep harping on 'Chinese english teachers', when we are discussing overseas Chinese, not the local ones you are referring to! Overseas Chinese, born and bred in English-speaking countries, are no less qualified than the whites, but they are always rejected simply because 'they don't look foreign!' That is a fact as true as sunrise!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.