Author: middleway

Xinhua: If China Had Become 2 Party system [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-3-13 22:16:30 |Display all floors

when will the people get Rule of Law instead of Rule by the Party?

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-14 00:35:06 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2015-3-14 00:35

Multi-party Democracy? China tried that but it didn't work. Here's an excerpt from an article in the Economist:
AT 10.40pm on March 20th 1913 a young man who represented one possible future for China stood on the platform at Shanghai railway station, waiting with friends to board a train to Beijing. Song Jiaoren—30 years old, sporting a Western suit and a wisp of a moustache—had just brilliantly led his new political party, the Nationalists, to overwhelming success in parliamentary elections, the country’s first attempt at democracy after two millennia of imperial rule. He was in line to become China’s first democratically elected prime minister, and to help draft a new constitution for the Republic of China.

But an assassin’s bullet prevented him from trying. Armed with a Browning revolver, an unemployed ex-soldier in black military garb fired a single slug into his back and fled. Song was taken to a nearby hospital, where a bullet was removed from his abdomen. He knew death was near, and in the last political act of his life he dictated a telegram to his chief adversary, President Yuan Shikai (pictured bottom right): “I die with deep regret. I humbly hope that your Excellency will champion honesty, propagate justice, and promote democracy…”

Song died on March 22nd. China’s best chance of democracy may have died with him.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-14 09:02:00 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2015-3-14 00:35
Multi-party Democracy? China tried that but it didn't work. Here's an excerpt from an article in the ...

If the government cannot give us transparency, human rights, open society...........

We have the rights to demand for it.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-14 14:40:22 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2015-3-14 09:02
If the government cannot give us transparency, human rights, open society...........

We have the  ...

China's experiment with multi-party democracy ended with the assassination of the first democratically-elected Prime Minister in 2,000 years of Chinese history. Yuan Shikai, the warlord suspected of masterminding the assassination, abolished the National Assembly the following year and ended up proclaiming himself Emperor thereafter. Ironically enough, Yuan Shikai had the political and financial support of the Western Powers, particularly the British, who had sought to sabotage Sun Yat Sen's revolutionary movement which aimed to overthrow the Qing Dynasty and replace the Imperial State with a Constitutional Republic based on the American model.

The rest is history.

What China has today is a single-party meritocracy which is transitioning to a more transparent, open system based on the rule of law and respect for human rights.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-14 18:42:42 |Display all floors
Very interesting sfphoto, yes everyones responses have been most eye opening, i'm still undecided however, China seems to have had such a bloody and violent history, and every change of power was so bloody and violent, I tend to keep falling back to all of my original questions. Yes, China's system is not perfect, yes it has corruption and repression and everything that we all know about we don't need to keep banging on about it, but again, would a multi party system have worked back then? Perhaps it would have been continuous back stabbings and assassinations like the one you just mentioned sfphoto. Displaying dead peoples heads on the street and making them wear dunce caps etc etc. It seems as though that's just the way this huge great mass of a country is. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-14 21:16:23 |Display all floors
middleway Post time: 2015-3-14 18:42
Very interesting sfphoto, yes everyones responses have been most eye opening, i'm still undecided ho ...

Sun Yat Sen had a premonition that his new Republic would be sabotaged when he made the following statement:

To the Friends of China in the United States of America:

We understand too well that there are certain men of power – not to include for the present certain nations – who would view with a greater or lesser satisfaction an internal rupture in the new republic. They would welcome as a move toward the accomplishment of their own ends and designs a civil war between the provinces of the north and the south; just as, fifty years ago, there was applause in secret (in certain quarters) over the terrible civil strife in the United States.

Americans of today who were alive in those dark days of the great republic will remember the feelings in the hearts of the people – the bitter and painful thoughts that arose from the knowledge that foreigners were hoping and praying for the destruction of the American Union.

Had the war been successful from the South's standpoint, and had two separate republics been established, is it not likely that perhaps half a dozen or more weak nations would have eventually been established? I believe that such would have been the result; and I further believe that with the one great nation divided politically and commercially outsiders would have stepped in sooner or later and made of America their own. I do not believe that I am stating this too forcibly. If so I have not read history nor studied men and nations intelligently.

And I feel that we have just such enemies abroad as the American republic had; and that at certain capitals the most welcome announcement that could be made would be that of a rebellion in China against the constituted authorities [against the new Republic].

This is a hard statement to make; but I believe in speaking the truth so that all the world may know and recognize it.
Sun Yat Sen (1912)

Even though Sun Yat Sen was a Christian Social Democrat who believed in the American ideals of freedom and democracy, the Western Powers at the time had malevolent designs on the new Republic of China for the threat it posed to their mercantile interests especially in regards to the highly lucrative Opium trade. That's why Sun turned to the Soviet Union for political and financial support before he died in 1925. His successor, Chiang Kai-shek, distrusting the Communists, then purged the KMT of Communists before launching his Northern Expedition to defeat the warlords and unite the country under his leadership.

After the failed experiment in multi-party democracy, China moved to the right with Chiang Kai-shek turning into a fascist dictator. At the about the same time, another party from the left came into being: the Communists under Mao Zedong.

When the moderate center could no longer hold, then extremist politics took over.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-14 21:44:26 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2015-3-14 21:16
Sun Yat Sen had a premonition that his new Republic would be sabotaged when he made the following  ...

In a non democracy, when the government don't follow the constitution, no body can successfully challenge the government.

That is the single biggest argument in favour  of a democracy.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.