Author: dragon8

Gaddafi’s True Crime   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-3-10 17:32:06 |Display all floors
dostoevskydr Post time: 2015-3-10 16:59
Saddam Hussein was no threat to the US. He was just an emotional irritation. But on a tissue of li ...

"So much for intended consequences"

Well if the consequences were "intended" to happen, then they must be happy with them. Job well done.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-10 17:46:32 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2015-3-10 17:09
I have known people who have lived and worked in Libya during Gaddafi's time and been there. I  ...

have known people who have lived and worked in Libya during Gaddafi's time and been there.

So what ? The "people" you describe could have been Libyans themselves, members of the government who benefitted handsomely from a corrupt regime, or others simply living high on the hog / camel while slave workers imported from other countries did all of the dirty work.

I"TheHermit too corroborated that in some earlier post - they described Libya as very prosperous and that people lived well, were treated very well and quite happy and the system was a great social experiment."
People in mainland China were saying the same thing about their country during the "prosperous" years of tultural Revolution. The Chinese ministry of propaganda churned out endless slogans and material trying to brainwash people into believing that they were living on an earthly paradise and that miraculous bumper crops of rice and wheat were the norm. It was all a crock. You refer to one person for corroborating this notion about Libya when there could have been twenty others who instead thought of the country as a hell hole. Clearly the Libyan people eventually were able to throw off the yoke of Colonel Gaddafi's despotic rule and to allow the "Arab spring" to bring true joy, peace and harmony into their lives.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-3-10 18:22:14 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2015-3-10 17:32
"So much for intended consequences"

Well if the consequences were "intended" to happen, then they ...

Now consider the Saudi dilemma. Sunni radicalism sits ill with the monarchical principle on which their dynasty rests. But standing against Sunni radicalism is not them but Iran. And if there is anything the Saudis detest more than Islamic radicalism it is Iran, a hatred going back to the early days of Islam. The irony of this has to be savoured. American meddling created the conditions for the rise of Iranian influence. America’s neo-cons, and the pro-Israeli lobby, have thus proved to be revolutionary Iran’s most useful supporters.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-10 19:54:54 |Display all floors
dostoevskydr Post time: 2015-3-10 18:22
Now consider the Saudi dilemma. Sunni radicalism sits ill with the monarchical principle on which  ...

To repeat as before, if the consequences were "intended" to happen, then they should be pleased that
these did come about. More jobs well done, hats off.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-10 20:16:50 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2015-3-10 16:52
When studying Jewish history, do you study the detailed manner in which they were killed or just ...

One of the best books which I have read about the holocaust and the atrocities inflicted on Jews and other oppressed peoples by the Nazi regime of that time was "The Kindly Ones" ( "Les Bienveillantes" ) written in French by American-born author Jonathan Littell.

The 983-page book became a bestseller and was awarded two of the most prestigious French literary awards, the Grand Prix du roman de l'Académie française and the Prix Goncourt in 2006, and has been translated into several languages. It goes into harrowing detail about a number of aspects of WW II including : the varied scientific ( and often very brutal ) efforts made by the Germans to perfect the "final solution"; the economic costing for running concentration and labour camps; the horrors of the Stalingrad and the retreat of the German army from there in 1942; the many and varied ethnic divisions of people whom the Nazis conquered ( especially in Eastern Europe ); their subsequent difficulties in determining if they were for or against the war effort; and, of course, the great moral, religious and ethical dilemmas faced by the German command in attempting to win the war at all costs which finally lead to their own peril.

Nearly 1,000 pages to slog through, but well worth it.

"You are not a paid clown, you are your own man." I certainly hope so, that's as good a compliment as
I think any man could want.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-10 21:15:58 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2015-3-9 19:15
Simply parroting the lies and propaganda about Gaddafi will not change the visionary policies he had ...

I don't think the Chinese and Russian objections to the form the Libyan intervention took meant they supported Gaddafi. Instead, they were objecting at the precedent of intervening in the internal affairs of a sovereign state. Both China and Russia are very wary of such interventions because they fear they could become targets themselves. I understand their fears; but I still support such interventions. Of course, the Libya, Iraq and Afghanistan interventions were all badly-conducted.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-10 21:46:27 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.