Views: 798|Replies: 1

Obesity Is Contagious, Study Finds [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-2-9 21:18:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by vivy1109 at 2015-2-9 21:22

Wondering why your waistline is expanding? Have a look at those of your friends. Your close friends can influence your weight even more than genes or your family members, according to new research appearing in the July 26 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine. The study's authors suggest that obesity isn't just spreading; rather, it may be contagious between people, like a common cold.

Researchers from Harvard and the University of California, San Diego, reviewed a database of 12,067 densely interconnected people — that is, a group that included many families and friends. It was that information the NEJM authors mined to explore obesity in the context of a social network.

According to their analysis, when a study participant's friend became obese, that first participant had a 57% greater chance of becoming obese himself. In pairs of people in which each identified the other as a close friend, when one person became obese the other had a 171% greater chance of following suit. "You are what you eat isn't the end of the story," says study co-author James Fowler, a political scientist at UC San Diego. "You are what you and your friends eat."

It's not just that people who share similar lifestyles become friends, Fowler says.  For one thing, geographic distance between friends in the study seemed to have no impact: friends who lived a 5-hour drive apart and saw each other infrequently were just as influenced by each other's weight gains as those who lived close enough to share weekly take-out meals or pick-up basketball games. Fowler believes the effect has much more to do with social norms: whom we look to when considering appropriate social behavior. Having fat friends makes being fat seem more acceptable.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-9 21:51:44 |Display all floors
There are more "university" funded studies currently going on in the world then than there are bok choy in the whole of Beijing. One study will produce "this" and another will produce "that".
I do not subscribe to any of the above. I think it is utter nonsense. I have resided in many countries on this planet for many years and have observed thin men married to fat women and fat women with thin friends. And that is the norm - from my "study".

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.