Views: 15549|Replies: 76

Dedicated To New CD Forum Participants...   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-1-4 19:31:40 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2015-1-5 08:18

Open Letter to All New Visitors:

Sir/Madam:

Great to make your acquaintance and thanks for visiting our CD Forums.

I don't work here at CD but I've been here the longest, and so I feel obligated to inform you of what you can expect to see here at TTCD and other forums.

The Chinese people have been victims of exploitation for a century and a half before Chairman Mao and his cohorts literally saved the nation from endless civil wars, rebuilt the nation, and gave dignity back to her long-suffering people.  

Most of the bullying and exploitative activities were engaged in by Westerners and the Japanese, and of course the Russian czars had also been nibbling away at Chinese territories since at least the 17th century.

However, today's Chinese people feel confident about their future and they sincerely thank the nation's leaders from Chairman Mao down to the present-day leaders.  It is no small achievement for a destitutely poor country like China to have reached the international status she enjoys today.

Many Westerners are friendly towards us and we welcome them with open arms.  I don't know you well but I certainly hope you belong to this group that from time to time will give us constructive criticism.

Bashing is fundamentally different from giving constructive criticism in that the malicious intent of the former can easily be discerned from that of the latter.

People are not fools and usually they can tell the difference between the two types of forum participants.

Your situation is akin to someone who passes a corpse at a street corner and sees a man nearby raising a bloody knife in his hand.  Your first impression is that he is the killer, not knowing that the man had just gone through a struggle with the real killer and had simply picked up the knife for self-defense.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Then you see another man come in with a bigger knife and you assume he is the good guy trying to subdue the murderer.  But you are mistaken -- the one with the bigger knife is the real killer who had just returned to the scene.

But you couldn't have known that, and the correct assessment could only be made had you been at the crime scene from beginning to end.

Some of the forum participants here are really mean China bashers in the sense that they would turn every flower into a prickly pear and every flamingo into a mallet.  To them, nothing in China is ever right, and if you point out how they might have misconstrued the situation, they would not even read you response before going on into more diatribe attacking the Chinese nation.

Under such circumstances wouldn't you feel some form of emotive self-defense is justified?

We can't expect all foreigners to understand Chinese reactions to perceived slights from the standpoint of someone familiar with the country's history since the Opium War of 1839-42, but we do hope that folks like you will have an open mind.

Trust me that usually it is the Westerners that need to bear a majority of the responsibilities because they exploit their advantage of language facility to abuse their privileges in using these forums.

Many of their remarks are mean, throat-cutting and plainly malicious, and if you were in our position you'll probably react as we do in combating their verbal abuse.

Thank you for your patience and I hope you'll have a happy trip in China.

Wei Chao, M.D.
HKSAR

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-4 19:51:35 |Display all floors
This year visitors to China are projected to reach a new high and we wish you all a happy and safe journey.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-4 19:59:33 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-4 20:18:35 |Display all floors
It's like deja vu all over again.
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-4 23:02:04 |Display all floors
What about the "westerners" who (like me) wish all the best for China; and see China as a great hope for a peaceful, prosperous world? Why do you always engage in hate and resentment to humans who just happen not to be Chinese?
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2015-1-4 23:10:12 |Display all floors
coralbay Post time: 2015-1-4 19:59
Says one of the most divisive, racist, malcontents this forum has ever known.

His mantra: any subje ...

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/for ... 2Bmember&page=2

Whacko wasn't the first member or the first VIP member

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2015-1-4 23:10:43 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2015-1-4 23:02
What about the "westerners" who (like me) wish all the best for China; and see China as a great hope ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.