Author: adele001

Protect Chinese traditional festivals: ban the Christmas Eve   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-12-25 13:09:41 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2014-12-25 13:01
I support the lady (I am purely assuming from her 'avatar' here, who in fact can be anyone) calling  ...

xmas is also about 'giving'.....
last night there were thousands of young kids with big smiles on their faces holding presents in CQ...
why should we take that away from them?...
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-25 13:21:48 |Display all floors
adele001 Post time: 2014-12-25 12:49
It is definitely not a good and wise policy.
we need find a good way to preserve one's traditiona ...

We have almost all the major Chinese festivals now, complete with teams of dancing dragons. Even in my university in Glasgow there was a massive celebration for Chinese new year, full ceremony done by the dean of the university, even the first minister was present and then classes on dumpling making and a few other  traditions, like noodle tossing (this is a singaporean spring festival tradition).

Everyone loves the dragons though, especially the kids. It's by far the best part of spring festival. (In my opinion of course)

It's funny though, I actually think we made more of a big deal of it in Glasgow than here in Harbin although I do understand here it is more of a family holiday rather than a holiday of public participation. In the west it's more like a showcase of Chinese culture although we have a lot of singaporeans so there is a singaporean section at the same place it is slightly different. (I say west, I only know what it is like in my city actually). It is also co-hosted by the confucius institute who have a lot of fantastic events on like calligraphy 书法classes where you learn to write your Chinese name, dumpling classes like I mentioned and last time the hunterian gallery, a museum at my university, hosted a Chinese art exhibition from some famous Chinese contemporary artist...his name eludes me though. It's a real, fantastic experience of the best and most fun parts of Chinese culture.

I will contact my confucius institute and see if I can get them to send mme some of the photos from last year and get them posted up on here!
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-25 13:25:17 |Display all floors
I support the lady (I am purely assuming from her 'avatar' here, who in fact can be anyone) calling  ...

Ok, but you missed the point. Christmas is our biggest holiday, China mainly celebrates the BIGGEST holidays, just like the west celebrates China's BIGGEST holidays including spring festival, dragon boat festival etc...

Confucius' birthday isn't really classed as one of China's biggest holidays. also from a theocratic point of view (Which I don't believe but understand) Jesus was a god...Confucius was not.

I think it is an awful policy to ban such holidays, like I said, place more emphasis on Chinese holidays but remember as China becomes a global player, it is simply good policy to accept other cultural holidays to make people feel more at home and to improve cross cultural understanding. If you want people to accept Chinese culture, you must also accept their's at the same time.
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-25 13:30:55 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2014-12-25 12:55
Yep good point...
Across the uk chinese new year is celebrated, and in london workers are now give ...

China has become one of the big countries in the economy strength, but it seems still lack of culture inclusiveness.
people from all around the world come to China because of its prosperity and attraction.
As a big country, you should open your arm and welcome them.
There are millions of ways to protect the traditional culture, but not this one (very short sighted and unwise)
In south korma, people also celebrate the Christmas, but their culture elements are still impressive.
The problem here is not to ban but to use.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-25 13:33:44 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-12-25 13:21
We have almost all the major Chinese festivals now, complete with teams of dancing dragons. Even i ...

wow, that would be a good idea.
I believe what you have described is the way culture should be...

China has become one of the big countries in the economy strength, but it seems still lack of culture inclusiveness.
people from all around the world come to China because of its prosperity and attraction.
There are millions of ways to protect the traditional culture, but not this one (very short sighted and unwise)
In south korma, people also celebrate the Christmas, but their culture elements are still impressive.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-25 13:35:31 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-12-25 13:25
Ok, but you missed the point. Christmas is our biggest holiday, China mainly celebrates the BIGGES ...

good point, I agree totally...

Seanboyce88: "I think it is an awful policy to ban such holidays, like I said, place more emphasis on Chinese holidays but remember as China becomes a global player, it is simply good policy to accept other cultural holidays to make people feel more at home and to improve cross cultural understanding. If you want people to accept Chinese culture, you must also accept their's at the same time."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-25 13:36:11 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.