Author: bfsuleo

Should teachers be paid based on merit?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-12-21 08:39:15 |Display all floors
No.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-21 08:48:39 |Display all floors
I couldn't read every post here but didn't see anyone discussion what I consider the key issue.

Are the testing standards reasonable to begin with? How do you truly judge a 'good' teacher?

Considering a bad teacher can give students huge amounts of homework and loads of rote learning to pass a traditional test that does nothing to prepare them for life.
On the other hand a teacher can be loving and kind and imaginative in their class developing the children as more than just exam taking robots and set them up for a better life, but not necessarily to pass tests as well.

Further more, there have been studies that show monetary rewards are less effective the more cognitive load is required. Factory workers doing repetitive tasks might work harder for more money but for those jobs that require thought and creativity, intrinsic rewards lead to better performance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-22 15:38:09 |Display all floors
TedM: Thank you.
Having said my piece prior I would like to acknowledge that many useless "teachers" are employed here
but do not last long. The main reason for this is that the only requirement to pop over to China and have a blast while working as a teacher, is to be the owner of a Degree. I know of cases where people in their 20s who have never taught before, are as thick as two short planks, wouldn't know Agatha Christie from Charles Dickens, BUT have a degree in physical education (what a joke) have been recruited. You can imagine the resulting chaos in the classrooms.....
As for genuine teachers being paid according to abilities, that would require many factors being brought into play. These might include the schools and those heading departments, availability of resources and ability/enthusiasm of the students. There are so many intangibles there.
Also, although I can be kind, loving and imaginative my task is to get them to pass tests and often a rote system must come into play. Schools are no different in attitude here in China as they are back in Aus, NZ or the UK. Schools attract students (or more likely, their parents) by "advertising" the excellent results of past students. A school's reputation of getting students to pass exams is the bottom line here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-22 21:21:45 |Display all floors
It's a great idea, but if a student refuses to learn, does the teacher go home broke? I wish Doctors pay depended on curing health issues, but in some cases they make more keeping you sick...  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-23 00:21:25 |Display all floors
casseopeia Post time: 2014-12-18 20:53
however you "teach," ordinary or whatever, you're not going to get rich.

this question is implyi ...

if you make a choice of being a teacher, then you should develop the responsibility and the purpose, if you just wanna earn more money then you eventualy end up in losing the true meaning of survival, which i think should be enjoy what you love.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-23 07:32:45 |Display all floors
alyssadeng Post time: 2015-1-23 00:21
if you make a choice of being a teacher, then you should develop the responsibility and ...

yes, i think the standard pay level for teachers should be increased, you do need a certain minimum to feel secure....people need to be happy to be able to give freely of themselves... but they should not be paid based on "merit"....it would destroy the meaning of being a teacher...

yes, i agree, i think financial rewards should be secondary and a by-product of a life well-spent...because you can't take the money with you, but your developed abilities, your character, your level of spirituality, are yours forever...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-23 14:15:35 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ronny at 2015-1-23 16:45

The best teachers are those that love to teach, who's enjoyment thereof is gained by seeing their students succeed, no amount of money can buy that.
As for paying teachers more if they succeed, well, there are certain problems with that, some will deserve the extra money, but, others will do their best to fudge the exams so as to get that extra money.
Testing should, at least occasionally, be independently administered, this is the only fair way to keep an eye on the results being obtained. Through such a method, rewards could be given.
If two teachers of the same group of students got vastly different results, is one teacher ineffective, is the other teacher manipulating results, or is one teacher just more inspiring and likeable than the other gaining good results because the students like learning from them.
There are many things that can affect a teachers ability, but, if they love teaching, they will always look for ways to help the students to learn and to do well in exams.

P.S. I teach online for free, I do it because I enjoy helping my students, they keep coming back because they like the way I teach, and feel they are learning from me very well, I teach about 16 hours a week this way, for about 3 years or more, and have been offered teaching jobs in China, one of which I will take up soon. I have seen and spoken to many teachers, some of whom should not be allowed to even teach for free, but others I know are very dedicated, both the vollenteer and the professionally paid.
One does not need to have gone to university to be a good teacher, though a decent education is of benefit, one needs to enjoy it too.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.