Author: bfsuleo

Should teachers be paid based on merit?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-12-19 10:31:26 |Display all floors
Teaching is (or should be) a profession. There are many more aspects to good teaching than salary. There are many factors affecting students achievements or failure, often not anything to do with the quality of teaching. My experience in China is that there is no reward for excellence in teaching, nor for high test scores. There is more likely to be punishment in the form of less salary for only low test scores, regardless of the make-up of a class or the problems posed by slow learners and medical problems. The result is unwillingness to share or help other teachers to succeed. It leads to selfishness and lack of cooperation. Salary should therefore not only be by results, but must take into account many other factors. (see "appraisal" systems on google)
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-19 15:07:48 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-19 15:09:23 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-19 16:18:57 |Display all floors
"the foreign so called teachers are the rejects of the west...!"  (says "Raton")
I cannot understand why comments such as these are are allowed on this site. Comments
of this sort are in the majority here which does, in effect, render this site and its contributors
with about the same level of intelligence and capability of debate as that of a chimpanzee's
tea-party. I stopped posting here a few weeks ago due to an upsetting and plainly ignorant post. This was made by a foreigner (like me) who had clearly been here many years but didn't know shit from clay.
Sweeiping statements seem to be the mainstay of sites such as these. Perhaps they are tolerated as they encourage more people to enter the heated, yet futile, debate.
I can get a teaching job in NZ, Australia or the UK anytime I want. I can get more pay and, when I want - I can get a pie, a decent pork sausage, a hunk of cheddar, sliced bread not riddled with sugar, and some bloody sour cream for my curries.
But I came to China. And yes, I wanted the experience - who wouldn't? And I didn't choose to gravitate to Beijing or Shanghai so I could spend my evenings knocking it back in western-style pubs. I am out in the wop-wops. 50 mins out of Nanjing.
The students here get my fullest attention. 17 contact (class) hours a week, at least 12 houirs spent preparing, setting homework and marking. Another 10 hours in Office, being there for any student who wishes to pop in and ask questions or get extra help. Extra hours are spent in helping with extra-curricular activities. Then I go back to my flat and pop a few things in a wok for tea.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-19 18:09:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by casseopeia at 2014-12-19 19:44

whatever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-19 22:25:43 |Display all floors
Once again abusive and unsubstantiated comments (raton). I am choosing to do what a grown up should do and not respond. However I once again ask China Daily what has happened to their validation system. See Laine's comment above. Such a pity that stupid comments upset people enough to prevent them writing sensible comments here. I wonder if China daily will read this before validation???
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-19 22:59:18 |Display all floors
I note there is no comment from China Daily verification

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.