Author: english-learner

Why few Chinese brands make it abroad?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-12-15 05:57:43 |Display all floors
SoCalChevy Post time: 2014-12-15 04:28
I think Chinese goods have a reputation for being poorly made knock-offs. I am not sure if that is t ...

Here's the answer: A lack of trust after high volume worldwide reports about tainted/counterfeit Chinese milk, candy, food, medicine, cooking oil, etc.  A lawsuit against toxic Chinese-made sheet-rock and controversy about poor workmanship of Shanghai-made steel used for a San Francisco bridge have made headlines in the US. American dog kennels advertise the exclusion of Chinese pet food.  Why expect Chinese brands to be popular abroad when even they are shunned by Chinese citizens who prefer going abroad to buy foreign brands? There are some excellent Chinese products, but they have been completely overshadowed by an overall negative image  that's difficult to erase.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-15 06:38:06 |Display all floors
I have bought Chinese products many times but have been disappointed with quality and durability.  Why I buy .....cost only look at.  I am sure china will look more closely at quality because that is the image that is going out into the world and the central govt seems to be focused on international image.  I think for the same reason central govt will crack down on rampant "copycat" business going on throughout china.  Central govt will see the damage being done to china's intl image with copycat and theft of patent and disregard for trademark rights.  Central govt is very forward thinking in this regard.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-15 07:51:22 |Display all floors
I would think the answer to that question is pretty obvious. Most countries have had almost 30 years of 'Made in China' products, all cheap, low quality commodities that aren't designed or made to last long. It takes a long time to overturn that period of branding.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-15 09:14:31 |Display all floors
Who cares? There are enough customers in China to keep any company afloat as long as they keep the prices reasonable.

Keep more stuff and money in China for Chinese people (and the good lao wai like me).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-15 10:43:01 |Display all floors
Most of the answers here are to one extend or another quite right.

Also, the  answer is in your question: brand name! It is an intangible asset that has a monetary value in the ledger because it is immediately recognized by the global market for its quality e.g. Levi Jeans, Coca Cola, Omega, Porsche...

It takes time to build a brand name and it will cost you more to defend it.

China is perceived to be a low cost manufacturer of "knock offs", competing with cheap labour and cheap labour working on an assembly line is never a brand name for high quality product.

Let's start with this question: what is an indigenous Chinese invention with a globally recognizable brandname that suggests best quality?  Johnny Walker Blue?
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-16 13:14:46 |Display all floors
maybe CHINA "survival pschology" is in PLAY here.........

how they choose their NICHE in the GLOBAL economy will be fun to watch.....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-16 13:15:52 |Display all floors
As a student of CULTURES and HUMAN NATURE.................

....such APPEARANCES matters!  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.