Author: smuffy

What does it feel like for an expat to leave China?   [Copy link] 中文

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-12-23 04:26:43 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-12-22 22:49
have you read this book? The phrase "sew me back into their lives" sounds suspiciously like you've ...

No, actually I've not read it, but I am a wordsmith... of sorts.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-12-23 04:27:39 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2014-12-22 19:56
Same to you. Can't wait to eat ham, turkey, salmon and all the other great Christmas foods.

I'll scarf down the ham; salmon is all yours!
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-2 05:56:46 |Display all floors
I recently moved back after two years of China. Apart from some dishes and eating Yangrouchuanr in one of these dirty places at the side of the road and drinking beer with some friends (I seriously liked that) I do not miss much and do not regret that I went back to Germany.
I love the bureaucracy here for starters. That might sound funny but the thing is, it works. If you follow the rules it will work out. In China I experienced unreliable bureaucracy and security.
Life here is much more relaxed. Weekends are weekends and nobody would get the idea to be available 24/7. Also the people are far more relaxed.
Overall it is cleaner and not just the air but the streets and the people (not a big surprise that you get dirty with all that pollution no matter how much you shower).
There is less chaos. Work is done in a structured and organized way. In China I had the feeling that there are phases when nothing is done and then all of the sudden everybody is panicking and rushing without thinking it through.
People are behaving much more sociable. I am renting a flat at a big house. The neighbours greet each other and help each other. In China we were just ignored.
I am back with my Chinese wife (who enjoys being back) and my Chinese dog. The connection with some good old friends became worse admittedly but I still have some good friends and look forward to rebuild my social life.
The technical standard here is much better.
I would have missed my dog but we managed to bring it along.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-2 06:01:26 |Display all floors
And I am so glad for the internet connection I have now and do not need to look for ways to bypass that great firewall.
I am now even checking text messages on my mobile again and picking up my telephone even when somebody calls I do not know.
And I love the boring news here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-2 06:03:40 |Display all floors
Okay, and I miss my Chinese students. Great kids! But it is good that most of them want to studyin Germany.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-13 18:17:00 |Display all floors
Finishing my 13th year, with no plans of leaving.  I would miss the friendly people, the culture, the food and many more things (pollution excepted).  Love it here, not going "back", may have to move on some day.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-21 08:23:42 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2014-11-27 07:34
I'd miss the pushing and shoving to get on the bus, the skirting steaming piles of vomit from people ...

You said it all, I can sign it were?
Twentyfive percent out of nothing is still nothing!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.