Author: smuffy

What does it feel like for an expat to leave China?   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-11-27 11:46:10 |Display all floors
I'm here 8 years now, and to be honest feel it's coming to an end, beit next year or the following. I am starting to wonder just why I leave my comfortable surrounding. Why I pay 3800rmb each month for a pit. [Because my wife will not move]. At home in the UK/Perigueux France I had hobbies, which unfortunately here I cannot pursue here and I enjoyed travelling between both at my leisure. I miss the clean air, clear water, countryside and healthy feeling. China is an OK place to live, just OK, but really nothing special. China can be unnecessary hassle, with regards to jobs, visa's and health, unwelcomed annual stress it brings and of course, the rudeness, ignorance, behaviour and unsociable bad habits.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-27 12:20:27 |Display all floors
food !!!!   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-27 12:53:52 |Display all floors
raton Post time: 2014-11-27 11:28
and freeze you rear off

Nope, in Finland we have warm homes with proper windows,  insulation and heating systems. Something that Shanghai people can only dream about.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-27 13:02:05 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-27 13:19:53 |Display all floors
pimpernel2 Post time: 2014-11-27 06:53
If I ever had to return to the UK, I would feel defeated + depressed! It took a life time to get her ...

Culture and traditions? Yeah right.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-27 14:01:21 |Display all floors
There's a great book by Milan Kundera on going home after a long time in another country. It's called ignorance and it resounds very strongly with me. Many of your friends forget you or even if they don't, they don't really care about what you done abroad, and are more interested in reiterating past stories involving you. It's a strange feeling going back home, people try to just staple the part of your life where you left to the part where you returned, deleting the part inbetween. I found it a very upsetting experience.
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2014-11-27 16:34:17 |Display all floors
I haven't felt so many advantages as well as disadvantages living in China.  It's really an eye-opener.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.