Author: Hercules.

Genes that Affect Political Leanings [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-11-18 14:35:24 |Display all floors
JAPS TO RESUME BREEDING

The Japanese government started funding matchmaking events in a desperate attempt to boost a birth rate that had halved over the past six decades (Bloomberg, 20 iii). Prime Minister Shinzo Abe allocated an additional 3 billion yen (£17.7 million) in the 2014 fiscal year’s budget for birthrate-boosting programmes as part of a strategy to reverse the nation’s shrinking population. Japan was home to one of the fastest ageing societies in the world, with the population shrinking at a record 244,000 in 2013 alone, according to government figures.The support of marriage - and the active encouragement of young people to settle down – had come to be regarded by government policy-makers as a key strategy for boosting the nation’s birth rate. {Could eugenics be far behind?}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-18 14:39:57 |Display all floors
IQ STILL LIVES – IN AUSTRIA....  

That a relatively low IQ was found – along with more autism, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia –in the children of older men (because of extra mutations in oldies’ genes) was acknowledged by anthropologist Martin Fieder, University of Vienna, as he announced a new, “very visible” effect of lower physical attractiveness in such children (D.Telegraph, 24 iii). –

IQ was seldom mentioned by psychologists in the Anglo-Saxon world because it was deemed elitist and deterministic and made people think that race too might be real; but that IQ<85 was found four times more common in children (4% of the population) having a genetic mutation hindering thyroid processing in cells was reported to their annual conference in Liverpool by endocrinologists (D.Telegraph, 24 iii).

Intelligence itself once got a mention from England’s King Alfred the Great towards the end of his life (BBC2, iii):

“What I set out to do was virtuously and justly to administer the authority given to me, and to do it with wisdom, for without wisdom nothing is worthwhile. It has always been my desire to live honourably, and to leave my descendants my memory in good works. For each man according to the measure of his intelligence must speak what he can speak and do what he can do” – King Alfred the Great

And fresh support came from Eton-scholarship-winner and Balliol First Boris Johnson, former Spectator editor (New Scientist, 18 iii, Michael Bond – though with the usual late-C20 caveats about the ‘other factors’ supposedly demonstrated as important in Head Start programmes [for corrective, see TgF]):

The mayor of London, Boris Johnson - seen by some as a future prime minister - recently addressed the issue of growing inequality.... Success is all about IQ, Johnson suggested, so all we can do is give the brightest kids the best chance to succeed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-19 03:02:03 |Display all floors
Japan already knows all this!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-20 04:50:17 |Display all floors
Enough of this nonsense: just show me the booze!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-20 14:27:55 |Display all floors
Fudgy Post time: 2014-11-20 04:50
Enough of this nonsense: just show me the booze!

Try denatured alcohol.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-21 23:28:16 |Display all floors
This thread is to complicated for Chinese; it should have been posted in a Japanese forum.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.