Views: 9559|Replies: 57

Are dreams nonsense? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-11-18 09:45:42 |Display all floors

It seems that our dreams are mostly nonsense, but too often we have heard of people relating dreams that seem to foretell the future or else seem to explain what is unknown to our physical senses. Take, for example, the story below (taken from The Gift by Sally Rhine Feather and Michael Schmicker):

My friend was crying almost day and night. It had been six months and she hadn't heard a word. We Would tell her, "No news is good news. Don't carry on until you hear from the government one way or another," but she couldn't stop worrying. Then on three successive nights in February 1945, I dreamed the same dream, but a little different.

On the first night, I was looking for my friend's son among the dead and the wounded. I was directed to a hospital and woke up. The second night, I was in the hospital going from bed to bed, looking for him. There were so many I couldn't finish, and woke up again. The third night, I found him, his eyes closed, uncommunicative. I was told he was all right but had had a great shock and some nervous disorder.

I related my dreams to my friend and said, "Don't worry, no limbs or organs are missing. Only he is very sick and unable to identify himself."

Four months after my dream, he was brought to the hospital in Staten Island. His mother learned that for a long time they had been unable to identify him. His identification tags had been lost and he was without clothes or memory. Months later, he begain to remember. They found out he was an officer, but was hospitalized with enlisted GIs, so his hospital was changed, and because of this change he was at last found.

Perhaps one story isn't enough to convince you of anything, but there are at least thousands of such documented phenomenon, that to ignore them would seem to me to be ignoring something of significance that is a part of our experience on this planet Earth. Dreams are not nonsense, but we think they are, because our physical senses are severely limiting and they delude us; for example, the chair you are sitting on is not solid, as proven by quantum physics, but would you believe it?

The truth is out there for those who seek.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-18 09:57:34 |Display all floors
Or rather, should I say, the truth is within for those who seek....

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-11-18 14:13:13 |Display all floors
I’ve never thought that dreams r nonsense. 2 me, it’s sort of signs or hints sometimes, and mayb sth that we can’t explain within the current human knowledge.     

I’ve been told more than once by someone that he (she) did sth as if he had done it before but actually never in real life and he searched and searched and found it in one of his dreams. Of course it happens 2 me as well.     

I’ve been dreaming of my dear mother early in the morning of Wed (that is, Tue nite) since she passed away on May 1 this year. She’s with us family as if she has never been away from us. I used 2 visit her at the nursing home on every Wed afternoon. It has been part of my life and I will feel uneasy if I don’t dream of her.      

It’s the fact that some of our dreams r ridiculous or but a nightmare. 2 some extent, it reflects our physical condition or the tenor of our waking hours. Fe, u tend 2 have a dreamy sleep if u think a lot or tire yrslef out during day time. It’s eay 2 have a nightmare if u r badly ill. I always get breathless and have a nightmare when I put one or both of my hands on my stomach when I fall asleep.     

I’m sure all of the above mentioned have been covered in Sigmund Freud’s The Interpretation of Dreams, though I’ve not read it.     

Dreams r merely dreams. Whether it can hint 2 us at our luck or misfortune. Believe it if it comes 2 u in the way u like, and ignore it if it strikes u unexpectedly.         

We will move on whichever dreams we may have.      

Smile at whatever happens.
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2014-11-18 21:26:27 |Display all floors
Perfumecity Post time: 2014-11-18 14:13
I’ve never thought that dreams r nonsense. 2 me, it’s sort of signs or hints sometimes, and mayb s ...

I have some really great dreams.

Talking about dreams, How are you Perfumecity?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-11-19 07:46:46 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2014-11-18 21:26

You creep

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-19 08:04:39 |Display all floors
I have never seen a consistent pattern with my various dreams. They are all over the place.
Put out your right arm, hold back your left arm... <(=^.^=);

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-11-19 09:16:04 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2014-11-18 21:26

I wonder what u mean when u mentioned "great".      

Tx. I'm just ok in spite of dreams.      

Smile at whatever happens.
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.