Author: gracelee

Chinese are liars ?? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-7-7 12:56:36 |Display all floors

Check out the 'liars' thread in the culture or changing China section.

I forget which.
Someone said to me when I first arrived (mainland China) "if their lips are moving, they're lying" I've since found it to be pretty much true. I don't take anything said to me by mainland Chinese at face value. I always assume that they're probably lying.
This from years of first hand experience.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-7 13:26:46 |Display all floors

Why they lie ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-7 13:31:38 |Display all floors

Many reasons.

Usually to do with making things easier for themselves, often about stupid things for no reason whatsoever. I can't figure it out sometimes, why. It seems habitual and they don't seem to consider it lying. They just say whatever is convenient at the time.
look at this thread
<http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/forumpost.shtml?toppid=100819>

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-7 15:03:15 |Display all floors

I read all the posts written by foreigners on topic *lies* in culture section.

Very interesting !
Unbelievable !
Even funny !
Is this Chinese way of living ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-7 15:50:59 |Display all floors

Yep

Fact: to most Westerners in China the amount of lies you encounter all the time and in all contexts is simply astonishing.

However: this is not necessarily a 'Chinese' oddity.  I have heard similar accounts from friends/colleagues who have lived in sub-sahara Africa, the Mid-East and Thailand.

Maybe it's us Westerners who are overly obsessed with the truth.  Maybe the rest of the world is simply more diplomatic....

For me personally: I got used to the constant lying fairly quickly.  Just one of the small, even fascinating, annoyances of living in an exotic place.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-7 17:03:50 |Display all floors

Once you're aware of it

You can take it into account. But  let's face it, it takes a bit of getting used to it. I think most of us, when someone tells us something, habitually assume that it's so. This bare faced lying does take some getting used to.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-8 01:41:43 |Display all floors

??????

My post was gone after a minute I wrote....

The original was....
> To do one lie, sometimes need 3-4 more lies to support the original lie.  A lie can make many more lies. Soon the person who lie doesn't seem to know which is lie and which is true.
BTW,  Is this something to do with cummunist society ?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.