Author: beginner2013

Why Chinese is so 'damn hard'?   [Copy link] 中文

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-11-11 20:43:41 |Display all floors
Incedius420 Post time: 2014-11-11 17:58
The simulatory to english is what makes german so easy for you.  But i wouldn't claim that german  ...

Would that be: 'similarity'?
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-11-11 20:45:36 |Display all floors
I don't find Chinese that hard, but then again having a background in other languages helps.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-11 23:51:05 |Display all floors
To speak simple Chinese is not too hard. The hardest part for me at least are Chinese themselves and their accents. Some of them speak really bad mandarin.

The easiest Chinese to listen is spoken by another foreigner who is not high level speaker.

I scored one point shy a full score in HSK 2 test with no teacher help, just studied by myself. It does not mean I'm a Chinese expert but shows that learning basic chat Chinese is not too difficult.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-12 07:24:28 |Display all floors
The hardest part for me at least are Chinese themselves and their accents

depending on which part you are. a lot of cases, the locals cannot speak putonghua. some try, some just totally refuse.

I scored one point shy a full score in HSK 2 test with no teacher help,

nice one! but to be fair, HSK 1 - 3 isn't that difficult.

ive never had a teacher yet im at HSK 5, and my wife can only speak chinese.
as another poster said, interest is the best teacher. then it also depends on how you tackle it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-12 08:55:01 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-12 10:07:57 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-12 12:27:02 |Display all floors
1. Because the locals are not skilled in assisting foreigners with speaking the language.

2. The locals also freak out when they hear putonghua coming from an obviously foreign face/mouth.

3. Because there are no strict tone rules. I constantly hear Chinese people cheat on the tones but hold foreigners to a higher standard. This gets exhausting and is an easy excuse to stop trying to speak properly.

4. Because there are more than 4 tones but no one ever mentions the 5th and 6th tones in books or in audio courses.

5. Because of the various dialects, for example Beijing-ese.

6. Because, terrorists.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.