Author: yelson

Not tea-------[(Love Over Coffee and Life without coffee)] [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-7-4 12:26:10 |Display all floors

Re:What is Chai

Come on, you goto Starbucks and have not heard of Chai?
It is a kind of spice milk tea but definitely not like regular tea. It originated from India and popularized by Starbucks. I try to limit myself to no more then two cups of coffee a day, be it a latte or a cappuccino, or just your good old cup of regular coffee in the morning. So Chai comes to the rescue, when you sit in a Starbuck all day and already had your grande caramel macchiato.

You should definitely try it out, if you have never had Chai before. Maybe they don't have Chai in China? Can that be true?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-4 12:32:48 |Display all floors

I don't go to Starbucks.

No I don't go to Starbucks often enough to know Chai.

I mention Starbucks only because it is a rising brand in China. And it is bloody expensive to go to Starbucks in China, and Starbucks are not here in the southwest. It is one thing to pay USD 1.50 for a cup of coffee in the States, and quite another to pay RMB 20 for one in China.

We have UCC (A Taiwanese brand) here, at RMB 25 a cuppa. I also do not go there because I am not really ready to pay RMB 25 for a cup of coffee in China. I normally drink Yunnan coffee at my favourite cafe here. Or brew at home my favourite "Caffe Aurora" "Medaglia D'oro" "All'Italiana" .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-4 13:04:26 |Display all floors

We have Cha in CHina

as in  he lai yi bai cha.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-4 13:42:02 |Display all floors

I don't go to Starbucks

not often. Maybe twice a year.
I mentioned Starbucks only because it is a rising brand in China.

There is no Starbucks here in the southwest anyway. There is a UCC, but a cuppa is going to cost RMB25. It's one thing to pay AUD 2 for a  cuppuccino in Sydney or USD 1.50 for a long in Chicago, but quite another to pay RMB 25 for a cup of latte in China.

I usually just drink Yunnan coffee (local coffee) at the local cafe (RMB 6 to 8), or brew Caffee Aurora Medaglia D'oro All' Italiana at home.  This home brew goes extremely well with hot creamy milk, or just black with sugar, and stands incredibly well even on its own.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-4 16:33:45 |Display all floors

Caffeine...

Caffeine everywhere...

In Coke, coffee, many chocolates, and most teas, including green tea.

How to avoid it, may I ask?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-4 17:43:11 |Display all floors

To machjo - flower tea no caffeine

People in my city drink rose tea, chrycenthemum tea, forget-me-not tea, lily tea all flower tea.

I believe there is no caffeine in there. True ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-4 18:13:20 |Display all floors

Re: Chinese tea...

The Yunnan tea called Pu Er can be very expensive. So I think that's what your friend has. The brew (if it is the black tea Pu Er) has a very dark almost black colour, and that's the right colour. If you add too much water so that the colour looks "right", then you have drunk Pu Er the wrong way. This tea can be kept for a long time, like a good bottle of XO. The longer it is stored the better it becomes. And the most expensive tea leaves come from the oldest tea trees.

Anyway if you want to be able to sleep, go for the fully fermented tea (black tea or red tea). That's what I heard.

I also hear the Chinese say it is because your kidneys are not functioning well (kidney or liver ? ) that you can't go to sleep after tea.

My favourite chinese teas are : Pu Er (普尔), Leng Xiang(冷香) and Nuo mi xiang (糯米香), and I am still discovering. I used to have really good languiren (兰贵人), bought in Beijing. Here it simply tastes different.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.